Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leelee77_gw

Anyone know of Vector/Vinylite windows?

LeeLee77
10 years ago

Hi, everyone. I am new to this forum and just getting educated on windows. We have had five windows replaced the last few years, and are now looking to get four more replaced next month and soon the rest will be replaced in the upcoming years. We have been happy with the vinyl windows our contractor (and cousin) has used previously, they are from a company called Vector windows (previously Vinylite) based in MN that purely sells to lumberyards. But we have always thought they were a little pricey. We have not done replacement windows, we always rip out the old and put a new one in with new casing. Anyway, this week I decided to go to retail stores and price out the beginning series Andersen 100 and Pella 25/350 series windows as well, and those are cheaper. For example, for a casement approx 2ft*4ft, Pella 25 was $270, Pella 350 was $370, but the Vector was $450. I am comparing the u-factor and they all seem comparable. Yet, I have seen some very mixed reviews from sites like this on the Andersen and Pella beginning series (many people not liking them), so its hard to understand if I should be taking more into account than the u-factor stuff?

We live in MN (cold winters). I am trying to make sure that as we move forward with buying another 15 or so windows that we are making the right choice and if we are going to pay more its for good reason. I can't find reviews of Vector/Vinylite because they are a smaller local company (5M in sales), so I guess people just don't review them as much? Like I said I think the windows have been good, but just want to make sure we are paying more for a reason. Prices for sliders/picture windows are pretty comparable to other brands, but the casements have defeinitely been more and we have a lot of those in our house.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Comments (13)

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Not familiar with the brand, but generally anything marketed as "builder grade" is not going to be a top performer. Get the ratings for U value, shgc, VT, air infiltration, and design pressure. They will be very telling as to the quality.
    Regarding Pella and Andersen, Pella's 350 is decent, although I avoid it due to the pocket sill. Andersen fibrex products are decent as well, but the 10 yr warranty turns me off. The lower end offerings from each company (Thermostar and Silverline/American Craftsman respectively) are truly entry level, "price-point" products IMO. Neither are even designed or built by Pella or Andersen, but they simply purchased existing companies and relabeled them.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

+1, which should also tell you why the alleged performance data is all about equal.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

+1

What we see of them in our area is typically used in price sensitive remodels.

• LeeLee77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone for your feedback. Excuse my ignorance, but what does +1 mean? Windowswashington, where do you live? Thanks!

• LeeLee77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HomeSealed, I know that any window we get probably won't be top of the line, but we are looking for a good vinyl mid-range window. The vector numbers are:

u-value: .28
    shgc: .2 if loe3, .3 if loe2
    Visible light: .47 for loe3 and .51 for loe2
    air infiltration: casement - .06, picture window - .01 (these are the large majority of windows we will be replacing)
    design pressure: is that the psf? if so, that is 4.5 for a casement

Can you tell me what you think of these numbers? I don't know much about windows, I'm just learning, so your help is appreciated.

• LeeLee77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also, do you know of a mid range vinyl window that does not have a pocket sill? If so, please tell me the brands. Thanks!

• LeeLee77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HomeSealed thank you so much for your comments!

• PRO
    10 years ago

HomeSealed nailed it.

Not much to add here.

I am in Washington, DC area.

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

+1 is the equivalent of "like" on Facebook.

• LeeLee77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your help, everyone. We decided to go with ThermoTech windows. Our contractor said he liked them a bit more than Vinylite. I checked out some reviews, even on this forum, and everyone seems to think they make a really good product.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Sounds great.

Post up some updates after you get them in. We love to see follow up stories.

• Matthew Bouchery
    7 years ago

We get calls all the time for people looking for Vinylite windows cause we are Vinyl-Lite Window Factory....but we have absolutely no affiliation to them.