Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installation education please

Posted by angiebangie (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 20:29

I have no clue about window installation and have absolutely no idea what questions to ask. The only estimate I've received mentions something about wall insulation. I've read that window performance is largely related to the quality of the installation, but how is the common homeowner to determine proper installation? Short of reading reviews on Angie's list from other clueless homeowners, what do I need to know and ask before signing a window contract?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installation education please

Try searching on Youtube. See link below. Lot's of videos, will give you a general idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube link to window install

o

What kind of windows do you have currently? Some installs are more complex than others and what you have existing will dictate what will be required.

o

Thanks for the video links.

We currently have aluminum double pane windows and will be replacing with either Don Young TBA or Soft-lite vinyl. I'm waiting on a Don Young quote before I make a final decision. The outside of the house is a mix of limestone and Masonite.

o

I would have each company tell you precisely how they install their windows, without leading them in any way. If you lead them, they'll tell you what they think you want to hear.

Minimal expanding closed cell foam is the best way to seal the perimeter of the window against air and vapor infiltration. Unfortunately here in Texas most companies use the minimalist caulk-and-walk method that doesn't serve the homeowner well.

If you'd like to discuss further, feel free to give me a call.

o

Good feedback Ultra Windows.

Vetting the contractors installation is certainly an important evaluation criteria.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here