Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing/cleaning condensation between panes in picture windows

Posted by alexz (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 20, 06 at 19:52

Hello,

I have two large, double pane picture windows installed in exterior walls in my house. A good amount of condensation has accumulated between the panes and is tremendously deteriorating the view through the windows.

What can I do about it? I've heard of people hiring people to clean/remove the condensation. I was hoping to do it myself to fit the budget.

I've throroughly checked out the windows and can't find any way to remove one of the panes so I can wipe out the condensation. What am I missing.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Alex Z
Knoxville, TN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing/cleaning condensation between panes in picture windo

The units are sealed and if there is moisture between them they need to be replaced.
There is no relaible way to clean them out and seal them again.

o

Sorry Alex, as Brickeyee said, there is no fix for a failed seal. You have to replace the IGU (dual glass) portion of your window.

Do you happen to know who made the window and how old they are? They could be under warranty, but I wouldn't count on it.

o

Thanks for your feedback, even though it had bad news.

These windows are in a house I bought 9 months ago. It was the realtor who said I could have them cleaned. So no, I don't know who the manufacturer is. I looked all around the window for a brand stamp or something similar, but didn't find one. Is there anyway to find out who the manufacturer is/was? Other than the condensation, they look fairly new.

These picture windows are approx. five feet wide and 3.5 feet high. What would replacing the IGU portionof each one cost?

Thanks again for you responses.

Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here