Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installation explanation please

Posted by emmarene (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 19:51

I will be buying three replacement windows. I keep hearing how most windows are just inserted into the old opening. Is there a term for not inserting? I was hoping to get something to at least resemble the other windows in my home which are the original from 1958. The exterior is redwood siding. Any comments will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installation explanation please

Installation options are like this:

Insert or Pocket - pull either the interior or exterior stops, drop in the replacement window (i.e. frame and sashes as one unit), replace the stops and/or cap and wrap the trim.

Sash Packs - Pull a stop and pull the jamb liners, insert new jamb liners with sashes. Will look similar to current wood window but not the greatest when it comes to sealing up well if the opening is out of square.

Full Tear out - rip out everything (exterior and interior trim) down to the studs and install new, complete unit. New interior casing, new trim, etc.

o

Thank you WW
I am having a problem finding anyone who will do a tear out.
I suppose I'll just get the insert and stop worrying about it.

o

If the windows are in okay shape, most windows can be made to work well as inserts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here