Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any comments on Home Depot installed windows?

Posted by ajpdla (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 07 at 19:45

Wife and I just met with a rep from their store and wanted to know if anyone had anything good/bad/indifferent to say about the quality of the work performed, or whatnot.

Forgive if an inappropriate question for the forum; but we aren't going to spend 21K on anything without doing a bit of research first.

We're looking at replacing metal windows with vinyls and these would be going into a home with vinyl siding. The metal wrap is in existence around the existing windows, which are not original to the house, and I was told by the rep that they basically install the windows in place of what was already there and he couldn't give me a good idea of what the end result would look like once the old storm windows and old metal windows were removed. He said they try to install these new vinyls as close to the outside of the casement as possible. I just want to know what I would be left with for looks once this is done, the condition of the casement and the room on the inside for hanging of blinds on the inside once completed.

Most importantly, though, we want to know historical data about the company's abilities in this area as well as the satisfaction, or lack thereof, of the work performed.

Thanks.

Aaron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any comments on Home Depot installed windows?

If I was spending 21K and the guy selling the job couldn't answer important questions, I would leave and go somewhere else. He's pricing the job around the details. If he doesn't know the details, I guarranty there will be additional costs involved once the contractor gets there.
Did he even see the house?
Ron

o

Don't do it. The installers are not home depot employees. I found out the hard way. They contract the installation out. Last year they installed the wrong picture window in my home It took 4 months for home depot to rectify this error. On top of that the installers stole a cell phone from our house and made several over seas phone calls. Since only one of the installers could speak English (broken English)the rest only spoke Russian, it was not hard to figure out who stole the phone. That also took 4 months for me to get my money for the phone and charges. The windows themselves are fine.

o

We are also in the process of getting estimates for replacement windows. My husband did research online about Home Depot installations and it was mostly very negative. HD subcontracts out the work and the quality of the installation really depends on who they subcontract out to. They tout a lifetime guarantee on work, but if the installation was done improperly, why would you want the same installers to come and fix it? In terms of pricing, we found that the HD prices were on the high side since you were paying for the guarantee of the installation...but, again, who is doing the installation? It really depends on luck with the installer. I am leaning toward using a reputable installer that I have had recommendations on. Also, what window brand are you choosing? You should find out if the brand is good or not. Good luck.

o

If you like the Simonton 6500 window from HD, then look at the Simonton 5500 and 9800. You can get them from a reputable local window company. Go to www.simonton.com and enter your zip code.

o

I just got 3 windows on front of house installed yesterday. HD's best vinyl with transferable lifetime warranty, 7/8 inch double pane, LOE2, argon. Installation crew chief was courteous and friendly. The rest of the crew didnt talk much nor interact with me. The windows replaced were 1970's aluminum "builder" grade windows. New windows are terrific, very heavy, very "substantial" feeling, not like I thought vinyl would be.

I am very satisfied with the installation crew.

I intend to replace other windows myself, so I told the project manager I wanted to observe and learn from the installation. He was friendly, supportive and actually measured the rest of the house windows for me the measurements are the most critical step since if the new window is too small or too large either way it is a no-go situation. The crew chief was similarly supportive and went out of his way to help educate me.

So why am I looking on the web for window reviews? I think I got good value for my dollar for the three windows and installation I got this far. Since I am now going to self install the others I am shopping anew to see if I might lower my cost I dont know that I will but I do know more what to look for so I feel more confident to look at lower cost options.

o

First of all the HD window is the Simonton 6500 series which is almost exactly the Simonton 5500 series with a slightly different screen track and vent locks. You can buy the 5500 installed for about 10%-25% less from a reputable window contractor.

Secondly, the warranty is Simontons standard warranty with the exception of the lifetime installation part. What HD is telling you with the installation warranty is that if the window has any problems related to installation. They will fix it.

BUT...CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!!!!!!!!!

HD will NOT cover removal and reinstallation of the window, nor brickmold capping, nor repair labor at the factory if there is ever a problem with the window unit.

Current rates are Removal-$180.00
Re-install-$180.00
Re-Capping-$ 65.00
Factory labor-$depends??????????

Not such a good deal when you combine this with HD horrendous reputation for poor quality installation, poor customer service, inability/unwillingness to address customers complaints, poorly trained salespeople who haven't a clue what they are talking about.

Hardware stores are good places to buy....well, hardware. Not a good place to buy windows.

o

I second skydoggy. If you are looking for windows, go to a window store. Windows is a large investment in your home that I am sure you do not want to do again anytime soon. Look into windows that match the style of your home.

HD is a VERY poor choice for window replacement!!

o

We had HD out to give us a sales pitch and bid for our replacement windows. I was VERY impressed with the Simonton windows. JD Powers rates them #1 for customer satisfaction. A little more research revealed that HD's installation wasn't so highly thought of :o I found a local window company to do the job for less. I can't recall the price difference but the local guy was less expensive. The windows we bought were the Simonton 5500 series. Almost the exact same as the HD window. I'm very pleased with the windows and the installation. I am NOT pleased with the company from which I purchased them. Seems the BBB isn't pleased with him either (didn't find that out till after the windows were installed) :( If you like the Simonton window, find a local company and check them out on BBB.com.
Monica

o

UNLESS YOU LIKE WASTING YOUR PRECIOUS TIME, MONEY AND ABILITY TO MANAGE STRESS, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT USING HOME DEPOT WHO ACTUALLY CONTRACTS OUT THEIR ABOR FOR THEIR LOW QUALITY WINDOWS!!! ANY CONTRACTOR WHO WORKS FOR HOME DEPOT DOES SO CAUSE THE CAN BE GUARANTEED BUSINESS FROM HOME OWNERS WHO ARE OFTEN , NAIVE, TRYING TO SCTRETCH THEIR DOLLARS OR WHO SIMPLY DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER. THEY RECENTLY SCREWED UP MY FRIENDS WHOLE PROJECT FROM NOT ORDERING THE WINDOWS ON TIME, TO FLAT OUT LYING THAT THE WERE COMPLETED TO FINALLY ACTUALLY WRITING DOWN THE MEASUREMENTS BACKWARDS... WIDTHS FOR HEIGHTS AND HEIGHTS FOR WIDTHS!!! IF AN CONTRACTOR CAN'T EVEN TAKE SIMPLE MEASUREMENTS, HOW CAN HE HAVE ANY IDEA ABOUT WHETHER SHE WOULD NEED NEED WOOD INSEAMS AS WELL? HE COULDN'T, AND THUS ENDED UP COSTING MY FRIEND WAY TOO MUCH MORE AND PAIN WHICH HOME DEPOT DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT OUTSIDE OF A WHOLE LOT OF PASSING THE BUCKS TO YET ANOTHER CUSTOMER SERVICE PERSON ONLY TO WANT TO GIVE MY FRIEND IN STORE GIFT CARD FOR ALL OF THE HEADACHE AND NO MONEY OFF OF THE BOTCHED JOB!!!

Sincerely,

Elita

o

You never know who Home Depot will send to install your job.and they don't either until day of install.They are very good at giving home owners the run around.

o

Lowest bid gets the job!

Lowest bid requires short-cuts, unskilled labor, less than quality accessories (caulk, etc.)

Michael

o

Don't go there.........my brother-in-law did and it was a BIG mistake! I had similar problems with having them install screen doors.

o

Home Depot is a great Hardware Store /// stay far away from them for installs etc.

o

You might not get what you think you're getting with HD windows, either. Problem is that each window is specially ordered, as with most windows, and when you order certain packages, it seems those packages do not contain the LowE3-366 glass as the brochure describes, but rather LowE-272 glass instead. You're never told that and you'd never know it either. Promised the NEAT coating by the salesman? They haven't put it on the glass in almost a year! You thought you were getting it, were likely told you were getting it but you didn't! Did you receive a Manufacturer's Certification Statement with your windows? From the manufacturer as required by the IRS? Not only the NFRC label off the window but a Manufacturers Certification? Bet not. Because they didn't provide them. If the IRS audits you, you're in deep kimche, because they can disallow your credit. Bye $1500! Hello penalties and additional taxes too.

o

So went and asked HD to come and give me quote on their 6500 for comparing it to dealer and separate install from dealer recommended installer for 5500 with upgraded to 1" superspacer. I got 3 twin windows 72x60, on single 60x36 and picture window 60x36. Some have grile in them. So here is the layout
Dealer
windows cost $3000
still trying to get cost for install.

HD
$5297 for everything and 12 month financing and they are trying to install it this year so I can get $1100 credit.

HD 6500 will have soft coat E366, 7/8" and double-strength glass with argon.
Dealer's 5500 will have ETC super 366, Low E366, Regular strength, Double glazed with argon.
My question are:
1. Is there a difference between soft e366 and ETC super 366, Low E366?
2. Double strength vs Regular?

I don't think local installer can install those for less then $2000. Based on conversations with installer I might have special case because of my current windows(they are narrow profile one) to have higher install cost then normal.

For the IRS thing, I'm not worried too much, because my layer will eat HD a$$ for all penalties and 10X more, but I will ask about Manufacturer's Certification Statement. That is really good idea.

Thanks

ps I'm still trying to get another install to look at my place. I also have follow my townhome's association rules and HD already installed windows in my association.

o

Which glass package is best for you depends on where you live. The differences have to do with the amount of Solar Heat gain.

o

Hey skydawggy

Can you answer my questions above?

I saw you comment about "HD will NOT cover removal and reinstallation of the window, nor brickmold capping, nor repair labor at the factory if there is ever a problem with the window unit. ", so asked HD sales rep what happens in this case. He pointed out that they will fix anything to my satisfaction no matter what problem it is. His quote was: "if we have to replace window then we will replace window".

I'm in MN by the way.

o

Perhaps in the 3 1/2 years since I made that post things have changed. perhaps not. We deal mainly with referrals from previous customers who wouldn't think of having HD do ANY work for them, so I don't keep up with their latest policy. My advice would be to make sure you get everything in writing. Do not take the salesmans word for it. Odds are if you have a problem that salesman won't be there and if it's not in writing then it won't be covered. Keep in mind, most HD salesmen will also tell you they don't use subs. That's not true either but it doesn't stop them from telling people that.

You have been advised not to do business with HD. If you decide to, you do so at your own risk. I can't imagine after reading some of the posts on this site and others that anyone would consider using them. One of the problems with HD installations is there are many people who get a decent install but, there's plenty that don't. Frankly, most of the HD installer I have talked to don't even know what a good quality installation involves. Many are just schlubs who can't find their own customers. They stuff fiberglass in the wall cavity and flat cap because they either don't have the skills or just don't care. Now, before the hate mail and insults start, there are also some really good installers working for HD. Problem is it's a roll of the dice. You may get a decent one and you may not.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

o

I did talk to neighbor lady who told me about 6500 from HD. I wasn't really looking at HD, but after talking to her I thought I would ask them to come and check out. Funny to say her price was 1500 higher then mine and they were running promotion so I got $750 off. Thanks for your suggestion on getting everything in writing. I still have 3 business days to cancel the transaction.

Thanks

o

Yes, well the price IS the most important thing after all, isn't it?

o

Well, not exactly. I don't like the cheapest stuff. My believe is: people who get the cheapest stuff will pay twice.

o

and you get what you pay for, which is why I would not buy windows and or doors from HD, Lowes or any of the box stores without knowing before I walked in everything I wanted and knew 100% what I was getting. And in my opinion you will never get all that in one of those places.

o

I had double hung windows put in my first home 7 years ago - they did an excellent job and we love the windows. Just bought 5 windows for a sunroom that slide open - unfortunately you can't clean from the inside. Saleman lied about a couple of things such as they don't use sub-contractors. Windows look good but I'm not sure I'd ever use them again.

o

Hasn't all this been said at least 2-dozen times? Maybe a search on "home depot windows" would disclose everything anyone has to say on the subject without everyone having to say it again. The comments do not seem to change very much over time.

o

I had home depot install my windows after talking with 3 of my neighbors who highly reccommended them. It was a smooth proccess, great product and very professionally installed. I did do a little shopping around before signing the contract. They were not the least expensive or the most expensive quote. I was so happy with the process that I have also had them do my gutters and new soffitts. I would recommend them. as a side not I know that 1 of the other companies I had quote the windows has already gone out of business. I am quite satified and I am sure you will be too.

o

I think HD subcontracts all installation work to local contractors. The potential disadvantages of these arrangements to the consumer have been pointed out. On the other hand, you at least have a stable, responsible party to aim at in the event the job is not done properly. It will be a rare contractor who has a policy of insurance that is not loaded with "work product" exclusions. That means that, in case of defective workmanship, you will be trying to wring blood from a turnip.

I had HD install a ceiling fan the other day. They had a local electrical contractor to do the job. When the guy showed up, I noticed he had an Angie's List patch on his sleeve. I could have checked him out beforehand, had I been so minded. This is precisely what I would do were I to have HD install windows for me.

o

Amazing the info that goes on here! So there is no mistakes what I am saying
"IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH A HOME DEPOT WINDOW INSTALL , YOU CAN GO TO WWW.MYHOMEDEPOTPROJECT.COM . ALL YOUR INFO WILL BE THERE AND IF YOU E-MAIL HOME DEPOT; THEY HAVE TO RESPOND WITHIN 24 HOURS! AND YES EVERYTHING IS COVERED UNDER THE WARRANTY WITH THE 6500 SERIES (ALL PARTS, ALL LABOR , INCLUDING ACCIDENTAL GLASS BREAKAGE AND SCREEN TEARS) !"
I work at home depot and they are not perfect but they dont leave customers hanging or screwed over! Compare that with the number one customer compliant idustry in amereica .....HOME IMPROVEMENT CONTRACTING !
I can put most of you in touch with at least 20 of my customers who got screwed over and yes they got everything in writing .... yes they did thier research , most checked license and insurance !
The problem is the laws are easy on people who take advantage of consumers!
By the way your $21 qoute should include everything since it is standard for us to include replacing rotted wood, capping with pvc trim coil(not the chalky stuff that runs when it rains) , also they fill in any air gaps with insulation , clean up all job related debris .

o

Dam, they must have been feeding you the HD Koolaid for quite some time!!!

o

Had HD install 18 windows in my house 3 years ago. Not the cheapest quote but definitely not the highest. Got the Simonton 6500s. Love the windows. Really loved the service. Professional, courteous and clean. Did my homework beforehand. Installers were local, but all were background checked, drug tested, etc. All liability insurances, etc. Had a problem with one window 2 years after windows were installed and the project manager (a HD employee) came out and made it right quickly. Every person I was in contact with was professional and knowledgable. I would ASBSOLUTELY do my windows with HD. Very good experience. TOTAL PIECE OF MIND.

o

"also they fill in any air gaps with insulation"

Except "insulation," except foam-in-a-can type, is not designed to stop air movement and seal anything

You are totally at the mercy of the contractors who pay HD cut to get business.

o

First of all it's Peace of Mind not piece of mind. Secondly, nobody ever said every HD install was done poorly. What they have said is that you have a greater chance of getting a poor install from HD than if you carefully screen a local window contractor. At least with the local company, you can get specific references on the installer. With HD, it's the luck of the draw.

o

WOw. It sounds like to me that there are a few "haters" on here. I can only say that The RSW home services program stands behind the products they install and not only the product but the opening or the area it is installed in or on. HD warranties are lifetime. Not a limited lifetime and also include the craftsmanship along with the product. Some warranties, depending on the product, are different than others however they are clearly stated and easy to find. HD does use other contracting companies to do the installs. Show me another company that does not do the same. They are few and far between. The contractors are background checked extensively and periodicly. The contractors are trained by the manfufacture for proper installation so that the windows are installed properly. HD does repair any rotted wood and insulates between the window and frame and then the window is sealed by a wrap and a caulk. The craftsman ship in most cases, depending on the product, is warrantied for the entire time that you own the home. There are no trip or service cost. There will be instances that things do not go as planned but as the largest replacement window installer in the US you can't expect every job to run perfectly. The bottom line all the issues were taken care of. When you by HD you are getting the best product available at a valued price with peace of mind.

o

Step away from the HD Kool Aid!!!

o

Pick any windows in the world, and any installer. Some customers' experience with the product and installation will be very good, others very bad.

HD subcontracts all of its installations: windows, doors, roofs, decks, fences, cabinets -- everything. The job you get depends on the installer -- how carefully he/she measures and how fussy he/she is with the installation. In this area, one HD windows installer is very good. two are average, and the fourth should be arrested.

So there is no across-the-board answer to your question. Do what you should do with any remodeling project. Find out who the installer is, ask for reference to prior jobs, check the BBB, and talk to the installer. Your gut may tell you he/she is the right person for the job, or it may tell you the opposite. Go with your gut.

But also get estimates from other companies. HD windows are not made by HD, they are made by Anderson and, i think, Simington. In any even, the store millwork guy will tell you who the manufacturer is, and in any locality the same or nearly the same product is carried by one or more local window companies.

o
discount on windows installed by home depot?

hello, is there any discount for a window installation from home depot. anything out there? i will send money with paypal for the answer. thank you. i am paying $10 for a valid response to a discount.

o

what?

o

"Except "insulation," except foam-in-a-can type, is not designed to stop air movement and seal anything "

I understand this, but am leery of any foam in my walls. Foam will degrade, dry out and/or disintegrate over time. I had fiberglass used in the very small space open for the area around my windows. There is no draft whatsoever. I would be curious to see the longevity of spray foam in high heat and extreme cold.

o

Foam does not disintegrate inside your walls. The foam is very stable and the primary culprit in the break down of foam is UV exposure. Inside the wall = zero issues.

Heat and cold have almost zero effect on the foam and it is designed with those very temperature extremes in mind.

o

Don't use Home Depot. They came to install my windows in January. They screwed the order up and it is June and the right windows are still not installed. They are not returning my calls. The installers - Russians - crammed two windows in and broke them. They used 2 different kinds of caulk on the exterior which don't match. The salesman said they would replace rotted wood around the windows, which they did not. Three of the 21 windows don't lock because they don't fit. Their customer service sucks. Just don't go there. Wish I had not.

o

I appreciate everyone for sharing since I am looking to replace my windows and not sure where to start.

o

I don't know who you might hire, but somehow, be SURE what you are getting. Have a discerning eye for quality, and take a real good look at prior jobs that the contractor did prior to letting them into your home.

This post was edited by gmyatko on Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 12:49

o
gymyatko - RE: Any comments on Home Depot installed windows?

Thank you so much gymyatko for the long post to warn me and others to not hire Home Depot to install windows in my home. I really appreciate all the time you took to give all the details. I got the post in my inbox but when I went to the site to reply, it was edited and gone. You should really put all back that you wrote to warn others that some Home Depot Stores are not to be relied on while others you can rely on but to BEWARE! Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here