Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magenta1295_gw

Simonton 5500 vs Andersen 100

magenta1295
10 years ago

Hello to all out there, I've appreciated reading many of the window forums and learning much about replacement windows. Im replacing 10 various sized DH single-pane wood windows. We've narrowed our choice down to Simonton 5500 and Andersen 100. The quotes we received from our local lumber company are as follows:

10 DH standard package 5500's (one unit with tempered glass) without installation $3100

10 single hung 100's (one unit with tempered glass) without installation $2864

Despite the fact the 100's are single hung, I prefer the more narrow profile and more wood-like appearance.

From my research the 5500's seem well respected and reviewed, but have a bulkier frame. Also I have concerns about the vinyl possibly off gassing, I don't know if this is a concern with the fibrex material.

Both of the windows are within our budget range.

Any opinions/information/experiences are appreciated!

Comments (6)

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

The off gassing is a joke and doesnt happen. The 5500 is a pretty good mid grade window. The higher end vinyl offerings would be Okna, HiMark,
    sunrise, and Soft Lite. Andersen doesnt come close in performance.

A direct competitor to Andersen Renewal is Okna Starmark which is a cellular pvc and has MUCH better energy performance numbers than Andersen. Its a heck of a window,

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

I'd say they both off-gas but would not enough to be concerned about, probably get a different answer every time you ask.
    I do like the 100series casement window but do not care for the sill design or tilt feature of the single hung.
    the price on the 5500 seems a little high, but maybe not knowing the sizes or options.
    There are other vinyl windows with a narrow profile that are of good quality that should fit that price range,

• magenta1295
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the responses. From my research I understand the 5500 would be more in my price range than the higher offerings by okna, himark, sunrise and softlite, Yet it seems to be a reputable company and solid window. Here's the price breakdown, without installation:

Simonton DH 5500, standard

1 unit 28x46 $300
    1 unit 28x40 $285
    5 units 28x53 $300 each
    1 unit 28x53 tempered glass $300
    2 units 34x50 $320 each

I'm in the Cleveland Ohio area. Do these prices seem competitive/fair?

• magenta1295
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also,
    toddinmn,
    what other good quality vinyl replacement units would you recommend that have a more narrow profile than the 5500?

thank you again for your time and responses!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

The off gassing argument is bunk.

There are more toxic pollutants in your home from a couple of cabinets than there are from some uPVC windows.

Andersen will have just as much, if not more, coming of of it than will the Simonton.

Where is the home located?

The Sunrise is a very narrow profile as is the Soft-Lite Imperial Pro and Bainbridge.

I would check into those other brands before you rule them out.

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

Check brand's WOW mentioned. I think the pricing is on the high side for the Simonton's.
    The OP is in Cleveland.