Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncfarmer

Marvin Integrity Ultrex fiberglass

ncfarmer
9 years ago

I am building a new house and have 14 Marvin Integrity Ultrex fiberglass to put in. They are all delivered and I am seeing warped frames in most. Today I discovered why. They shrink wrap the window for shipping and it pulls the frame. I checked a small one today,18X48 and the sides were pulled in over a 1/2" each side. Has anyone had this problem or did they forget to brace the inside for shipping?

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Ouch.

Looks like they mostly messed up the jamb extensions there. Check the frames and I would be calling my rep to get a credit for those jamb extensions and then some.

• ncfarmer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We inspected all the windows that we had installed. Some, the frame, (jamb extensions) are fairly straight, mostly the 3X5's. We didn't check the packaging or measure the extensions but did notice they were all warped inward when we installed them. It has been driving me nuts as to how I will keep the reveal straight when I install the molding. Today we installed the rest of the windows (all were warped in from the shrink wrap) except the one pictured above, it's going back. All the extensions we did today are warped to some extent but we will wait and see if they have a memory and will straighten on their own. The only choice for attaching molding and keeping them straight is adhesive as screws and drilling is supposed to void the warranty. Here is a photo of a 30"X72" we installed today.

• PRO
    9 years ago

I wouldn't install another one. Lay them flat and see if they don't even out in a day. In the meantime, Marvin and your supplier ASAP.

• ncfarmer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We will be at the suppliers today with the small badly warped window in hand. Marvin gets all my e-mails to the supplier, (lots of them) but have yet to contact me. The windows we installed yesterday are in with 12 nails each and free to move. If it is a materials memory problem it looks like more then a couple of weeks to straighten out or more. This all could have been avoided by placing a couple of cardboard braces inside before shrink wrapping.

• PRO
    9 years ago

+1

There is definitely and issue to be certain.

They should be fixed.

• ksc36
    9 years ago

Is the frame on the outside warped too? If not, I'd cut a piece of 1 x 3" at the correct length and force it onto the center of the window to keep the jams in the right position. I always shim the jambs and with a window built for 2 x 6" wall construction, it's a must...I doubt they will correct themselves without a little help.

• PRO
    9 years ago

That is a crap response in my opinion too.

Hardly seems like your responsibility to fix their poor shipping quality.

• MarvinIntegrity
    9 years ago

Hi NCFarmer,

We are sorry your experience with your Integrity products wasn't good. Please give us a call at 800-346-5044.

• ncfarmer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MarvinIntegrity, I am in daily contact with my supplier here in NC. I have around fifty e-mails from her and e-mails forwarded from her boss and the Marvin rep through her boss. So far I have not e-mailed the rep directly as I'd prefer my supplier to take care of this. The whole point is that the windows were made properly then distorted in shipping, (broken) (unsaleable) yet they stuck me with them. I sent an e-mail to my supplier tonight as nothing has been done so far. The windows are half in half out and I am trying to build around them. In about a week if nothing has been done I will pull them all, put them in my trailer and dump them at the lumber yard where they cam from as rejected. I will then purchase other windows as I need to finish my house. I love these windows but I am just getting the runaround. I hate to put my e-mail address on forums but here is a disposable one I use if you want to contact me. gottcha@michigan.usa.com

• ncfarmer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MarvinIntegrity, just so you know, the rep has suggested using shims and nailing/screwing in from the side of the extended jamb. We never intended on painting these and it would look horrible with each window having a patchwork of nails/screws going in from the side. It would take hours upon hours to get them to have a straight reveal. To us it would be like putting screws into the side of a new fiberglass boat, not going to happen. AND, why should I have to spend my time and money to correct a problem they created???

This post was edited by NCfarmer on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 19:42

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

Ncfarmer, I don't get it. You complain about Marvin, they contact you on a message board of all things to offer help and you turn them down? You refer to "Marvin's" solution being unacceptable when it is actually was proposed by the rep? Marvin, which monitors this board offers help and you post the looney toon responses above where you blister the rep with an ultimatum ? Are you more interested in the fight than new windows?

• millworkman
    9 years ago

lkbum, my thoughts exactly!!

• ncfarmer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did not turn Marvin down. My supplier was already talking to the rep and district manager and I didn't want to confuse the issue. However I did learn a lot in the last day. My supplier is the real problem. They have been talking to Marvin but have done ZERO for me. In reviewing the 40-50 e-mails I see my supplier has not really explained the problem to Marvin. The Marvin poster here on Garden Web has stepped in and it looks like Marvin will make all new windows and fix the packaging problem. The Marvin employee on the forum acted quickly in fact so fast I had problems keeping up with him on e-mails. He was on line with me until after 9pm last night and he has worked it all out, thanks Tony.These windows are beautiful and I would hate to not have them. I have a real bone to pick with my supplier and have yet to spend about 20 grand with them or not!

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

Glad to see resolution. I've seen a lot of items messed up with over aggressive shrink wrapping (kind of like a newbie with a pressure washer). Seemed like a simple solution which it appears you and Marvin have arrived at. Building is stressful, glad you caught this before the install was butchered.

• PRO
    9 years ago

+1

Great update and is has been the case in the past, Marvin is stepping up and making it right.

Worthy of note above is that your issues were with the suppliers handling of the fix and not Marvin's.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Unfortunately as is usually the case wow, also glad to hear Marvin stepping up and dealing with the problem (as they always seemed to do when I dealt with them).

• ncfarmer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Follow up on my Marvin Integrity Ultrex Fiberglass windows. First let me say that not one person from my local dealer or from Marvin ever came to look at these windows. Maybe they just don't do that? I asked Marvin to do one of three things, Pay me to fix the problem. Send someone to fix the problem or replace the 14 windows. Marvin decided to replace them all but offered no help in swapping them out. I was told that the shrink wrap machine would be adjusted so as not to warp the extended jambs. The replacement windows arrived and upon inspection of a few they were warped. As time allowed I looked at more and the amount of work to straighten them would be no different than the already installed windows. The windows were picked up yesterday by the dealer. I am now left to make a 2X4 frame for each size to hold the jamb out while I foam the insulation around it. I will set the frames aside and after the sheet rock is in use the frames again to hold the jamb in place while I install the trim. I have also found that some of the sills are bowed up (from nylon straps in shipping) causing the window to lock very hard. Pulled the bottom nails and clamped it down and re nailed it, helped some. It's a mess in that as I am doing an owner/builder and it eats up my time. I haven't heard anything from Marvin about compensation but at this point I need to move ahead with the project. Projected CO date Oct 6th of this year!

• janitor53
    9 years ago

How is this close to acceptable? You can't just pay thousands for windows and have them show up damaged repeatedly. Are other people having this problem???

• allmarsh
    9 years ago

NCfarmer, we are considering the all ultrex Integrity window, but we do not need jamb extensions. Is this primarily what you are having problems with? When you mention the sills being bowed up is this part of the jamb extension? In one of your posts you mentioned the windows themselves were actually pretty nice, but it is a shame you're having these quality issues. Good luck on your project and I hope the dealer or Marvin help you out.

• ncfarmer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The problem was originally thought to be just the jamb extension. It was warped by the tension of the shrink wrap going around it. The top jamb extension and the bottom sill was warped by the nylon straps (as many as 5) wrapped around the (3X5) window. I have since found out that the straps actual warped the window sill and is causing the window to hard close. This bow is about 1/8th to 3/16" across a 3' sill. When I put a laser on the windows nothing is square, (like looking through a fisheye lens) I have to use the corners only to set the window. Ultrex may be a very strong material but it would have to be in a structural shape like a beam or a square tube not just a flat board configuration.

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

If you put windows in that you are unhappy with now, it will be worse later down the road. Keeping on schedule will be little consolation for an install or windows you are unhappy with. Change what you don't like NOW. I'd get something as important as windows right the first time.

• ncfarmer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lkbum, good advice!