Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbytables

Potential Window Issues

bobbytables
10 years ago

We just finished building our new house and we feel like the Simonton windows might have some issues. I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is normal or not so I thought I'd post my issues here and see what you guys think.

1. The screens on some of our have a gap on the side larger then others. In some cases I can move the screen side to side and there's about a 3/8" gap that I've actually seen bugs crawling through into the house. On some days we have to keep the window closed because bugs keep coming in.

2. Some windows are extremely hard to lock. I have to pull the window down with my body weight to get it down far enough to lock. Otherwise the lock just pushes agains the top pane and doesn't actually go into the lock slot.

3. In the winter we would see circles of frost form on the picture windows in the center of the window.

Comments (11)

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Overall, sounds like an install issue ( possible). This is common when builders install windows.
    The screens should be an easy fix. The frost on the inside could be due to a high humidity levels your hime believe it or not. At least excess condensation that can freeze early in the morning before the sun is in full swing.
    This would not be a window issue.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

I would agree sounds like installation as well and too high humidity in the house.

• Farbuncle
    10 years ago

In the winter, our first job every morning was to use towels to wipe the condensation off our windows. Then I replaced the single pane, metal frame windows with double pane vinyl windows and the condensation totally disappeared.

Not one drop of condensation for over 5 years!

The condensation in your home could be from humidity coming in your windows.

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

Boobytales, to me it sounds like a combination of a builder grade window (despite the brand name), along with a questionable install.
    Lastly, humidity will rarely come in through your windows ( unless you live in an extreme climate) , it will try to get out through your windows.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    10 years ago

The locking issue is a big indicator that the windows were installed out of square, which could also be causing the screen to not fit properly.

• oberon476
    10 years ago

Frost formation in the center of the fixed windows means that the IG unit has collapsed in the center and the airspace between the inner and outer glass lites is considerably narrower than it should be.

This is a manufacturing and a warranty issue and either you or your contractor or your window distributor needs to follow up to get it resolved.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

+1 to all of the above. I'd get a Simonton rep out to take a look at everything. I have to agree with ultra that the locking issue is more likely due to poor install, however the glass issue is certainly a manufacturer issue as oberon mentioned. The condensation itself will have more to do with the relative humidity in the home and is not a "warranty" issue, however the location that it is forming is an indication of a problem.

This post was edited by HomeSealed on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 11:09

• bobbytables
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your responses. It sounds like these are legitimate issues. I think I'm going to call the builder and inform him of these 3 issues and have them come out to look at it.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Definitely and sooner rather than later!

• pkovo
    10 years ago

You may find the humidity settles out as the house ages a little. Lots of moisture trapped in new building materials. Can take a while to fully dry out.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Mis-alignment, potentially failed glass, and out of square alignment are not issues that would be shown as a result of lumber drying over time.

I agree with you that the wood used in today's construction is nearly wet, but not enough to create these issues.