Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3bean3_gw

Do I Really Need Storm Windows?

3bean3
10 years ago

I recently bought a house built in 1956 that has its original double hung windows. They are all in fine working order and have no obvious cracks or separations. However the storms are old and barely operational so they should be replaced if the plan is to have them. But do I really need storm windows at all? The house is in the Washington, D.C. area so we don't have long or steep winters (usually). I know of neighbors who simply got rid of their storms and replaced them with full screens. If my single pane windows are tight, can I get away without storms or am I looking for trouble with my heating bills?

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

There are probably bigger issues at the home when it comes to overall efficiency but a single pane wood window is about as uninsulated as them come with only a single pane metal being worse.

They do make insulated storm windows and usage of something like that will more than quadruple the efficiency of that opening.

I don't think single pane windows are advisable in any application for this climate and the winters (which aren't really that mild if you go back 2 winters ago) are not the only part of the efficiency equation.

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

I think a single pane aluminum storm would be the best bet money wise, maybe with a low-e coating. Keep in mind that storm windows also do an excellent job at protecting the prime window, cut air infiltration, and greatly in improves the STC rating.It will also give you the option of half screen.
    The quality of storms can vary just like other windows, so I would get a nicer one especially if they are larger in size.
    As WOW said , it is not advisable to go to a single pane only.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Todd,

I have priced out insulated storms vs. single pane and the price spread was not that much at all.

That being said, anything will be better than single pane wood and I agree with you on the other impacts.

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

WOW, what brand of IG storms are you referring to?
    How much more is not much more?

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

If you do decide to replace the storms and/or windows, windows on Washington would be a great resource. I know that they do energy consulting as well, so I sure that they could give you a some excellent direction on your best course of action,
    On the topic at hand, I would definitely use no less than a single pane storm. You will notice a significant drop in efficiency and increase in sound transmittance by getting rid of storms with only your original single pane prime windows. The low e coatings and insulated glass packages can often provide good added value as well.

• PRO
    10 years ago

We don't do that much in terms of storms around here.

Todd...the storm window that we have used before is Quanta Panel.

They make a nice and surprisingly airtight interior storm as well.

• OldTimeCarpenter1
    10 years ago

I have not lived inside the Beltway for a number of years, but don't remember the winters being mild enough to do without storms.

A restored wood window and storm combination will give you about the same insulation as an average double-pane thermal window, so it's worth doing.

As for "insulated" storm windows -- well, they don't actually provide much additional insulation, but if, as WindowsOn say, they are not much more costly, then why not? Can't hurt.

• PRO
    10 years ago

OldTime,

I agree that the winters here are certainly strong enough to warrant a storm window.

The Low-e storms really show their benefit in the summer months by keeping the heat out of the assembly.

Good to see you back in here.

• Jumpilotmdm
    10 years ago

I would not recommend an un-insulated window no matter what climate. if it's not heating cost, it's a/c, which can be worse.
    Have a company or 2 give you a price on new storms. They're done every day.
    You do not need to replace your windows, just the storms.

• StrongWindows
    10 years ago

These days the price of quality storm windows may not be much less than what you could get quality vinyl windows installed for. You would save more energy, get a higher ROI and be more comfortable to boot with new vinyl windows.

• mattpete
    10 years ago

We have a house built in 1984 (we bought 4 years ago) with single pane + [questionable] storm windows. Some do a sorta-OK job, some do a meh job. But if I was spending the money, I would get all new windows. Why? Well, in the winter, some of our windows have condensation, and I never had that with houses with double-pane vinyl windows. That, in itself, is telling me that single pane + storm windows is not sufficient for our area in the winter. I also like the idea that the new low-e can block infrared on our southwest side, which cooks in the spring before the leaves come out on the trees.

I live in Fairfax county, so same metro region.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Mattpete,

What surface are you getting the condensation on?

While I tend to agree with you in that a good double pane will be preferred over a single pane with storm (in a non historic application), a well functioning storm will usually do the job.

The issue is that most people don't have historic wood windows and their windows aren't worth keeping to begin with.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Yes as you cannot assume that by installing IG windows that you will automatically have no condensation. As wow asked what surface is the condensation on as the RH in house may also be a contributing factor?