Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
positanovacation

where are all of the good doors in the USA?

positanovacation
9 years ago

So I've been looking for a new patio entry door since ours has been partially eaten by termites (getting that fixed), and what is the deal with all of the crappy doors? It is driving me bonkers. I cannot find a door I want that is sold in america. I want a door that is highly secure (16 gauge+ steel), waterproof, low U value, has no windows, with multi point locking system, looks like a normal door (preferably with wood overlays), left hand outswing, all metal welded frame, preferably with a stepped profile for the door itself, no wood in the frame or door whatsoever, all for a reasonable price (say around 2k$)

I have talked to multiple high end door places and they look at me like I am nuts. One guy actually said, if you install a secure door they will just go thru the window. I guess he is right, why should I bother with a door at all?
Another guy tried telling me that outswing doors would let water leak in like a sieve (this was the local provia rep). Funny, all businesses are required to have outswing doors and they don't have a problem, and the American Society of Home Inspectors states outswing doors are more weather resistant then inswing doors as well, not to mention it is code required in florida for hurricane protection for all residences (granted I live in Iowa).

They sell these kinds of doors all the time in Europe, only they are not willing to ship to the USA.
Here is an example of what I want:
http://www.italy-armored-door.com/
Or these: http://www.torteroloere.it/
Every place we stayed in Europe had these doors, and they are built like a tank, burglar proof (certified), acoustic barriers, very insulated, and look like normal wood doors till you open them and see the bank vault side of the door (1 inch studs up, down, 5 to the side and 3 non movable ones on the hinge sides).

Notice the stepped profile of the door, allowing two weather strips and further strengthening the door( every time you bend metal it strengthens it)? That is a cheap, easy way to improve a door and many European doors have had that for over a decade, why don't american manufacturers make something similar? There is no material cost, just a couple extra metal bends.

And don't get me started on price. Most of the dealers I talked to stated they weren't sure if they had anything as cheap as 2000$. Some gave me a range from 2k-16k$. Are you trying to tell me that something that probably one guy spends 8 hours building out of 100$ in raw materials is worth the equivalent of a ford focus that hundreds of engineers spent years designing and dozens of guys spent a week building, which also has over ten thousand separate parts costs the same as a door that has maybe half a dozen parts?

And it seems like either most people on forums such as these are either door dealers themselves or have just swallowed the lie hook line and sinker. Because everywhere I go I see people say don't buy the 200$ steel door at Home depot, it sucks, even though the U value is the same as the 6k$ door that is recommended. I understand the gauge of some of the doors sold at home depot are quite thin, but some are just as thick as the provia and hmi doors, although none as thick as I want, 20 gauge is way to thin in my opinion. Everyone seems fixated on how they look, not what the door specifications are.

Finally found one place selling the curry 707S that will make a door for 900$, 16 gauge embossed, insulated, outswing with welded steel frame. Its missing a large number of features; reinforcement, multi point locks, stepped profile, European cylinder lock, and wood trim. But it looks like it will have to do.

Sorry, just had to vent. Does anyone have any better recommendations?

Comments (3)