Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goddi_gw

HMI vs Precision patio doors?

goddi
17 years ago

I am planning on replacing my patio french style doors and the front entry door. I was planning on going with Precision Entry doors but then one installer suggested HMI doors. They won't have a sample door for a week or so so I have not seen the HMI door yet.

I would like to have anyone's opinion on these two manufacturers.

Thanks... Gary

Comments (15)

• lakedog
    17 years ago

As a contractor, I've purchased doors from Precision for over 25 years. Super people, great product, and fair prices for all you get. Not familiar with the other name you mention.

Good Luck!

• jen73452
    16 years ago

As someone who worked in the door industry with dealers, I've seen that HMI doors tend to rust and they have paint and other quality problems. Then, they don't take them back or replace them.

Precision doors has always been a class-act in every way.

That was two years ago, but I would still go with Precision.

But it's just my opinion.

• Michael
    16 years ago

There is no comparison. Precision Entry, soon to be Pro-Via Door, has always delivered the highest quality product in the door industry.

Michael

• tonya1
    15 years ago

I love my door by HMI. I did the research and the door is a better gauge of steel (thicker) than Provia's. The HMI doors also had better security features. I have serious curb appeal and people have been knocking on my door asking where I got my door. I haven't had any rust or paint problems . My friend has a HMI door and she noticed a scratch after it was installed. HMI came right out and gave her a repalcement door while they fixed hers. My HMI door is Energy Star and NFRC certified. I think Provia is a larger company but in my case HMI was great. Just do the research for yourself. I am not a big name brand person- I go for quality! Good Luck on your search.

• skydawggy
    15 years ago

"I did the research and the door is a better gauge of steel (thicker) than Provia's. The HMI doors also had better security features."

Nonsense. Both companies offer 20 gauge steel doors. What was the difference in security features?

• Michael
    15 years ago

Totally misleading!..ProVia Door is a Family owned company!

ProVia offers a 20 gauge door for residential use. The finish, quality and SERVICE far exceed their competition.

That is why the trades call Pro Via....the last door you'll ever need.

I hope you didn't buy HMI's 24 gauge door!

Michael

• Michael
    15 years ago

This is a statement by HMI:

HMI is the only home entry door dealer to provide 20 Gauge Steel Surfaces on their doors.

That is untrue. Would you buy a door that uses lying to persuade you? I sure hope not.

Michael

• skydawggy
    15 years ago

Michael,

I have to admit I like the idea of having total strangers pulling over and rushing up to my Front door just because it looks so Incredible. Might be a great way to meet people. I wonder if I'd have to set up chairs on my front lawn.

• Michael
    15 years ago

I had a conversation with HMI this morning. The president of the company agreed to change the advertising to truthful advertising and eliminating the claim that their door is the ONLY 20 gauge door in the industry.

Michael

• OhioWindoze
    15 years ago

I have sold and installed Precision/Sugercreek and now ProVia products for 17 years. They have unparralled quality, support and service. Not to mention they are a great group to work with. For the homeowner a 7 year finish warranty is impressive and thats if they do NOTHING to the door. If they treat it a few times a year with a UV protectant such as Armor All you may get 15+ years on their paint or stain. Thats the key to a door's durability and long term beauty-the paint finish!

• doorproz
    14 years ago

HMI makes one of the best doors in the industry. Whoever said HMI rusts, is misleading the public - they are obviously a competitor. I sell both HMI & Provia and they are both exceptional products. I have HMI in my own home for the past 6 years and it still looks like the day it was installed. I have installed over 100 HMI doors and have not had one complaint. They are the finest quality you can buy. Anyone in the industry can attest to that.

• tube
    14 years ago

My experience with HMI hasn't been the greatest. They build a good product but quality control is seriously lacking when it comes to jamb assembly.

• thermal99_aol_com
    14 years ago

I find that hard to believe. We have been installing HMI Doors for years and NEVER had a problem with their jamb. its a fantastic door and the quality is second to none. as i sai,i do provia as well and its a very good door but HMI is all quality. can't go wrong with either. we just have been doing more HMI lately.

• doorproz
    10 years ago

Jennifer ( Jen73452), you compete with hmi, hence your false and misleading post. i use both provia and hmi .
    Both HMI and Provia make wonderful doors. I have had a provia rust a few years back which was a rarity. That said, it was a defect in the way they did the finish, they quickly took care of it. HMI is the same, an excellent door and made extremely well. Both doors will warranty any rust which if it ever happens, its extremely rare.
    These are the only 2 doors i would ever install, at least where i am located. I stay clear away from doors like therma tru and jeldwin which to me are just builders grade doors and not made very solid.

This post was edited by doorproz on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 9:42

• NYCdoor
    10 years ago

I love My windows and doors. I find that hard to believe. We have been installing HMI Doors for 2 years by http://nycwindowsdoors.com and NEVER had a problem with their jamb