Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is There A Functional Noise Barrier For Windows?

Posted by candler (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 17:38

I live just outside Asheville, N.C. (Buncombe County). The supposedly Noise Ordinance is like spitting into the ocean and trying to make a wave - completely useless. The neighbor kids cycles go from morning to night. Is there material that I can put on or over my windows that is functional as a noise barrier? Thanks, Gene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is There A Functional Noise Barrier For Windows?

You can use a storm window made to reduce sound. The important spec to look at on any storm window built for sound reduction would be the STC rating. The higher the rating, the less sound transmission.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mon Ray Storm Windows

o

This is noise control from a new angle, but did you know that cellular shades are not only energy efficient but they also have varying degrees of sound absorbtion. "Double Cellular Shades" would provide the best sound absorbtion. Bali Blinds has a great selection and they even have a free mobile app download that helps you choose colors and order free swatches. Check it out at www.baliblinds.com

o

Thanks for your notes. I'm glad to know about STC ratings. Also, about BaliBlinds. I did the vinyl window replacement thing two years ago. Fourteen windows. Three windows were a set. Sort of thins the wallet doesn't it.

I'll go to Home Depot and look around. Seems any direction
will be fairly expensive but before my nerves are totally shot I must do something. I have a few sheets of blue 2"x4'x8' Styrofoam panels I got a few years back for a project. My windows are 6'Wx3'H. For the time being I think I'll put them against the inside windows of a two window room. They'll be ugly-ugly and I'll have to burn lights during the day but if they retard at least some of their noise I won't care

It's a shame when one's neighbor can dictate when, or if, I can rest my old body, or use my computer. Doesn't say much for my area's government, does it. Regards, Gene

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here