Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marys235_gw

Recommendations for vinyl replacement windows

marys235
14 years ago

IÂm trying to pick out replacement windows for my house, & take advantage of the tax credit. IÂm replacing the original aluminum windows, and my house is a 30 year old, single story, "Oklahoma prairie style" I think itÂs called. IÂve decided on single hung, vinyl windows without grids, since I think they fit the style of the house best, and the way most of my windows are placed, it would be difficult to clean them from the inside, so I donÂt see the need to pay extra for double hung.

IÂm looking for a reasonably priced window that will be efficient and last.I had decided to use a local company that manufactured their own windows, but found out they changed owners recently, and since January, no longer make their own vinyl windows, and only sell Silverline Traditional windows. I did get an estimate, and they were very reasonable, averaging about $400 each, and meet the energy guidelines for the tax credit.

But, Silverline windows have a terrible reputation on the internet. I did not find much info on the Traditional series, which are supposedly their top of the line (for Silverline, which I thought might make them a good mid-range window), but IÂm worried about the mfr reputation.

Now IÂm at a loss. IÂve done a lot of research, and thought Gorell windows would be good, but they are not sold in my area.

IÂm just looking for recommendations for a good, value-priced vinyl window, any recommendations will be much appreciated. Is it just totally unrealistic to think I could get a decent window in the $400 price range? I don't want junk, but I don't want to pay more than I have to, obviously.

Comments (16)

• tube
    14 years ago

That silverline window costs the dealer around $100 or less. The cost probably comes from the install since aluminum (all aluminum not aluminum clad) windows are a pain to remove. Without knowing where you are it is hard to recommend a product. I'd think your price range is reasonable.

• marys235
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm in Central Oklahoma. It was 105 today, we get snow and ice in the winters, and lots of wind pretty much all year.

• okcweezer
    14 years ago

I'm so excited to find this thread! I too am in OKC and am shopping for vinyl replacement windows. I also had Public Supply come out a couple of weeks ago to give me a bid and found out the same information you did about the change in ownership and the Silverline brand they carry now. I've had Forrest Lumber, who sell Jeld Wen out but have not received a confirmed bid yet. I also have talked to an installer who carries the Don Young SunShield vinyl window and the bid was more reasonable than for the Silverline. For 8 DH (4 with SDL & 4 with between the glass grids)and 1 triple slider, it was $5300. Silverline's was $5800 without SDL on the front 4. A guy referred to me who sells and installs Simonton stood me up tonight but I think I'll give him another chance to show up because this forum says only good things about Simonton 5500. I really think that's what I want to go with. I'll be checking back to see what responses come in before I make a final decision. What a process!

• marys235
    Original Author
    14 years ago

okcweezer, it's great to see someone else from OKC on this board. I've heard Forrest Lumber is a good company, a friend used them to replace her doors, but I don't know about their windows. I was thinking about contacting them. I found some info about the Jen Weld windows on this site, some good, some bad. I believe I saw some bad reviews on Don Young, but can't find them now.

Could you let me know who you are going through for the Simonton 5500 windows? From the research I've done, those seem like good windows, and not too expensive. I was going to try to get a bid on those next, either the 5500 or the 7300, but not sure what company to use, I found several companies that sell Simonton in OKC.

• okcweezer
    14 years ago

I will let you know what happens with this guy who was supposed to come tonight. Maybe it was just a misunderstanding about what night, but actually, the friend who used him for her replacement windows was frustrated with his reliability to show up when he said he would, but ultimately was very pleased with her final job. I don't know if I want to get involved with someone who consistently doesn't show up when scheduled. I may be asking you who the other Simonton companies in OKC are. Still, I would really like to hear what Alan bids so I have something to compare to. I also have read the negative reviews on the Don Young vinyl windows so that makes me a little leary of going in that direction. I've about worn myself thin with this window business! A part of me just wants to make a decision!!!

• marys235
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm posting a link to the Simonton website, if you put in your zip code, it will give you a list of local dealers. They don't all carry the 5500, though,as far as I can tell. ABC Supply Co., Lansing Building Products, and All American Building Products all seem to carry the Reflections line, so they should have them. I just don't know anything about any of those companies, as far as reliability, competence, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simonton Dealer Locater

• okcweezer
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link. I'll be calling one of them if Alan hasn't called back by this afternoon.

• marys235
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Has anyone heard of Thermal Windows? They are manufactured in Tulsa Oklahoma.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermal Windows

• skydawggy
    14 years ago

RE: Simonton. The 5500 series is one of the Reflections models. The Prism Platinum is the same window. It depends on who the distributor is for your area as to which line they carry but, both are the same. If you live in California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada or Arizona you will find the 7300 and 7500 models but not the Reflections and Prism.

• okcweezer
    14 years ago

skydawggy - I was hoping you'd enter this discussion. I happened to met a guy tonight who has been selling and installing windows for 30 years. When he told me he's selling the Anderson Silverline brand, I told him I wasn't interested in those windows and wanted Simonton. He said he can get those too. Should I be concerned with his ability to install a different brand than the one he usually sells. When I gingerly asked him if he knew the ins and outs of installing the Simonton line, he said they're all the same. I'm not sure I'm buying that. It scares me because on other threads I've read over and over how the installation is the key.

• skydawggy
    14 years ago

I'd be more concerned with his methods of installation. Many times an installer who is used to installing low end windows often times is more interested in getting the job done quickly than taking his time and doing it correctly. Some of the questions I would have would be,

1. Does he use fiberglass insulation or foam such as Dow or Hilti? Foam being the preferred method.

2. What type of caulk does he use? Quad being the preferred type but some of the installers still use silicon inside and out. BTW nothing wrong with using Silicon on the inside. We use it b/c the fumes are less toxic and noxious than the Quad for the first 24 hrs.

3. What does he do to level the window on the existing sloped sill?

I'd ask him these questions to get a conversation started about his install technics and then ask for some references from jobs he did 4 or 5 years ago and call the people and get their input. I'd also ask for the addresses of a few homes he's done recently and visit them. Pay close attention to the capping and caulking. If the exterior molding was a Contoured Colonial type, did he just bend the trim coil into a "U" shape and cap or did he take the extra time to fabricate a piece that matched what was there. Also look to see if he made a rain diverter on the top of the window if it was installed into siding.

He may very well do a good job for you but I'd still check on the above suggestions before signing a contract.

• okcweezer
    14 years ago

skydawggy -- Thanks so much for the outline of questions. I will most definitely print a copy for reference when interviewing the rest of the installers I have out. If it hadn't been for what I've learned reading this window forum, I probably would have made a hasty choice since the first guy who came out (the first Silverline salesman) sounded on task. I'm so glad I told him I'd let him know and then came in and started reading.

• marys235
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I emailed the Gorell site again, and we do now have a Gorell dealer/installer in OKC, I had checked a few months ago and they did not have one. How do Gorell windows compare to Simonton? The Gorell dealer/installer has several good reviews on Angie's list, All Pro Siding, I may contact them for an estimate.

• skydawggy
    14 years ago

Gorell is an excellent window. Have them show you the 5100 and the 5300 so you get an idea of the differences.

• scootiesmom
    9 years ago

This is who we used for both our replacement windows and siding. No pushy salesmen! They did an excellent job and we have referred many friends and family to them.

Streets Windows and Siding
    405-703-2210

Here is a little bit of info from their website and I will try to put the website address link too if I can find it:

Streets Windows and Siding has been proudly serving your Oklahoma City area replacement windows, siding and door needs for over 30 years. *Energy Star, energy efficient custom fit window replacement and siding installed with screws, (NOT NAILS) are our specialties. We install all types of doors including patio doors, storm doors and french doors, as well as entry doors in Oklahoma City and 100 mile radius. For window replacement and more in OKC area, Streets Windows and Siding can not be beat.

Being a family-owned and operated business, we are able to offer you that personal touch youâÂÂve been looking for, as well as very competitive pricing. Our goal is to make ALL of our customers happy, and we believe in treating each customer's home with as much care as we would our own.

Here is a link that might be useful: Streets Windows and Siding website

• scootiesmom
    9 years ago

Their windows are Don Young 5200 windows (made in TX) We looked at EVERY brand and many companies before going with them. Great installation and we can't hear the neighbors dog barking anymore. It's been several years back but we called them back out to do our siding last May and they did an excellent job. Even repaired some wood for us before they did the siding.