Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judander_gw

Retractable screen doors

judander
13 years ago

I'm not sure where to post this message because none of the categories on the forum seem to really fit. However, since doors are often associated with windows, I thought the window forum might be my best option. Here's my question:

Does anyone know how to secure the bottom of a retractable screen door to keep indoor cats from escaping outside?

I have tried two different brands of retractable doors--Larson and Plisse. With both brands, my cats are able to push the bottom of the screen out to get outside. It took my cats less than 5 minutes to figure out how to get outside with the Larson. The Plisse is an improvement because it has small clips on the bottom that keeps the screen in the rail. However, the bottom of the clips aren't wide enough and with a little bit of work, my cats can eventually push the clips out of the rail and, once again, escape outside.

I have checked all of the retractable screen door manufacturers and they all seem to have the same problem. Any ideas (besides putting a gate in front of the screen) as to how I might secure the bottom to prevent my cats from escaping? Or, must I resort to a regular screen/storm door? I would rather not go this latter route, though, as I have a glass entry door (with grilles) and I think it might look strange to have a storm door in front of it.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice!

Comments (3)