Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
as1022_gw

Marvin vs Eagle

as1022
11 years ago

Got several quotes on wood windows for our new construction project. Comes down to a choice between Marvin Ultimate, Marvin Integrity, and Andersen Eagle. The Integrity and Eagle are about the same price, although the Eagles are aluminum clad and much more color options and the Integrity is fiberglass and very limited. Marvin Ultimates, also aluminum clad and many options cost $15000 more but don't feel or look much better than the Eagle. Dealer says his experience with Marvin not as good as with Eagle.

My question: is the Marvin brand so important that I should go with a lesser window (Integrity) or pay much more for the Ultimate? Is there anything about the Eagle I'm missing?

Comments (28)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

There will be others on here who may not agree with me but in my honest opinion Marvin Ultimates are the best hands down, Integrity would probably be third in my mind and Eagle about 8.

• pds22
    11 years ago

Am trying to make similar decision between Marvin Ultimate, Marvin Integrity or Eagle. All casements except for sliding door and french door. The Ultimates were $14k higher @ $50k, Integrity and Eagles were similar @ $36k.

Have been reviewing Eagle posts here and elsewhere. Many past issues with leaking and design problems. Could not find any recent postings as to whether "newer" Eagle design and fibrex in-between aluminum and wood has resolved previous issues and/or improved the window overall.

Would like to lean towards Eagle given pricing and similar aluminum exterior and color options like Marvin Ultimates. Not convinced about Marvin Integrity, will say the window salesman sure like to push Integrity which makes me leery. But am concerned about previous Eagle issues and if new design, Fibrex usage are just more issues in-waiting later.

Be interested in understanding people's perspectives and experiences about the new Eagle design, Fibrex usage. And whether cause for additional concern or no.

• lkbum_gw
    11 years ago

I just completed new construction with a similar mix of windows. I looked at a lot of different windows and ended up with Integrity Wood/Ultrex. The wood/ultrex had a higher end look and the interior stained really well. I chose the Integrity because of the extreme weather a lot of this house sees. I've seen problems with clad windows, vinyl or aluminum were not really an option. I did look closely at the Andersen composite window. Didn't seem as nice (although it did appear stouter) and was about 20% higher than the Integrity. See the link below for pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: integrity windows

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

The revised Eagles are better. I installed some a few weeks ago in an addition. The original house has Eagles that are going on 15 years. They have never leaked.
    The new design puts fibrex where most water contact is, and also has a better positive contact with the weather stripping to the fibrex.
    I would take eagle over the integrity mainly due to options. I do not think you can go wrong with either though. I think the eagle is a better looking window with some more wood on the sash and frame. THe marvin premium is better, I agree, but not worth the cost difference.
    My new home this summer will most likely either be Eagle or Kolbe and Kolbe.

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

I think you if research any wood window you are going to see a lot of issues with rot, Marvin in included.

• WindowDog
    11 years ago

In addition to all above advice, I would suggest you read the various warranties so that you know what is covered and what isn't. Some warranties are very selective in the fine print. You might have a longer warranty on the exterior than the interior, less warranty on frame than glass, and all other kinds of different combos. I'm not sure that fibrex is warranted over 10 years. It can literally be stupid how they are being written.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

Integrity fiberglass is also only 10 years. It seems most window companies these days are sticking to the 20/10 warranties.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Your right todd you will find that with most every wood company. What separates the companies is how they handle those problems. Marvin never ran from their trouble (even though is was not their product that caused the problem). Most companies that have have had a problem that large solved the issue by either going bankrupt and reorganizing as a new company and would not honor the warranties or sold the company to someone else and they would not honor the warranties.

• lkbum_gw
    11 years ago

On the wood rot issue, that's why I chose fiberglass exterior vs clad wood. Only time will tell if this is truly better. Inital impression is positive.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

Well designed clad wood should work, but I think you made the safer bet with fiberglass.

• chris0505
    11 years ago

It seems unrealistic that there is a 40%+ price difference from Marvin to Eagle. Make sure you are doing an apple to apple comparison. Are you using casements or double hungs? If you are doing casement, there is nothing on the market that compares to the wash feature of the Marvin casmenent. What type of screens did both figure? Hardware options? Marvin offers different screens at different prices. Are patio doors figured the same way, swinging vs. sliding? Is one company figuring sliding french doors vs. regular sliding doors? Marvin's top mounted sliding screen door beats anyone else's on the market.

Marvin's standard finish exceeds the AAMA 2605-05 specification is the highest standard available for finishes on aluminum clad windows. Eagle's standard paint finish meets only AAMA 2604. AAMA is the American Architectural Manufacturers Association. This means less chalking, less fading, less gloss loss. Search AMMA2605 and Kynar paint finishes on the internet.

Marvin uses all extruded aluminum for the cladding, both the frame and the sashes. I am not sure with Eagle. Other window companies mix roll formed and extruded aluminum on the same window. Paint finished on roll formed and extruded fade at different rates and levels.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

chris Eagle does use extruded aluminum for the cladding and one thing I did forget to mention in addition to all the good points you made was if your using Hinged Patio doors make certain both companies are using Multipoint hardware as that is a trick alot of them use to make the pricing lower.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

I know Eagle uses extruded aluminum, and they also use multi-point locking swinging doors. I would not think 40% is too far out of line. That is pretty close to what mine was too. they were about 20% higher then Kolbe as well.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    11 years ago

Look closely at the Eagle doors. They are one of Eagle's weak points. They do not have adjustable hinges. Depending where you live and what type of soil you have, that could be very important. Fit and finish also leaves something to be desired. Andersen has made some improvements in the line but it's still not close to Marvin IMO.

• as1022
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty sure the comparison is very much apples to apples, and I don't have any hinged doors. The price difference for Marvin Ultimate is actually more than 40%. I'm not sure I got my answer here - I still can't see much of a difference between the Andersen Eagle and Marvin Ultimate. Eagle is extruded aluminum too and has AAMA 2605 as an option which is not that expensive - but I was told this was only important in coastal areas where you get salt exposure. Haven't made up my mind yet but leaning toward the Eagle.

• dljmth
    11 years ago

Need to make my final decision on this in the next few days and was wondering what the OP ended up doing. I had posted about the Marvin vs. Eagle solar heat gain and u-values and was leaning toward Eagle for the cost/benefit even though Marvin appears to be a beefier window. Was pretty much set on Eagle but am now wondering if it's worth giving up the radiant heat floors in the house in exchange to go for Marvin windows. A fixed budget requires trade-offs...

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

Radiant floors are pretty nice, Eagle is a pretty solid window. I think the choice is easy.

• gab64
    9 years ago

I have been a high end builder on the north shores of Lake Erie for 39 years. I have installed most of the major brands at one time or another from Architects specifications.
    On the lakefront houses you are basically building a boat more than a house. We have been using Eagle clad casements for the last 6 years exclusively, and even through Hurricane Sandy, not a window leak.
    The extruded Aluminum that slides over the millwork is thick and did not dent during a hail storm four years ago.
    We did dozens of widow replacements on the north and west faces of houses with rollform cladding.
    After Sandy, there were trucks at every other house on the lake trying to repair window leaks. Some, of course were siding and flashing issues.
    Much of the problems are incorrect installation procedures. We use our own triple taping/flashing procedure that has worked great for us through high velocity horizontal rains.
    If my name in on the sign the windows will be Eagle casements. Beware of any brand double hungs in high wind areas. Also outswing doors are mandatory on the lakefront facings. Best wishes!

• gab64
    9 years ago

I have been a high end builder on the north shores of Lake Erie for 39 years. I have installed most of the major brands at one time or another from Architects specifications.
    On the lakefront houses you are basically building a boat more than a house. We have been using Eagle clad casements for the last 6 years exclusively, and even through Hurricane Sandy, not a window leak.
    The extruded Aluminum that slides over the millwork is thick and did not dent during a hail storm four years ago.
    We did dozens of widow replacements on the north and west faces of houses with rollform cladding.
    After Sandy, there were trucks at every other house on the lake trying to repair window leaks. Some, of course were siding and flashing issues.
    Much of the problems are incorrect installation procedures. We use our own triple taping/flashing procedure that has worked great for us through high velocity horizontal rains.
    If my name in on the sign the windows will be Eagle casements. Beware of any brand double hungs in high wind areas. Also outswing doors are mandatory on the lakefront facings. Best wishes!

• millworkman
    9 years ago

2 year old post brought back to life, just registered today..........

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Hmm.....

Yes....

• juanitathornton
    8 years ago

I need to replace a 3-panel patio unit which is on the South side of the house and has a swinging door in the middle. I get lots of hot sun and strong winds. Please give me your input on whether to go with a slider or a swing door unit as well as what brand of door you recommend. I'm considering the Marvin slider and the Anderson Eagle. The 9-foot door has to be custom made since it's an odd-size opening. Any input in choosing a new patio door would be appreciated.

• Windows on Washington
    8 years ago

The slider vs. swing door is a non-issue with your location. Just make sure the glass is specified correctly for your climate. Where is the home?

• juanitathornton
    8 years ago

I live in Central Ohio. Since my door gets a tremendous amount of heat and wind, is one brand of door better than another? What brand do you recommend?

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    8 years ago

I would get more than one opinion on whether you need a custom sized door. Nine foot, three panel is standard for most manufacturers whether it is a sliding or a hinged door. Screens can be an issue on a hinged door especially if you thinking about an out swing. Look at the performance for the doors you are interested in since you said you get a lot of wind and the Low e 3 (heat) might be considered even if you are in Ohio but there are tradeoffs so Low e 2 may be better. If you are going to go with a dark color, Marvin's finish is the best in the industry but I understand Eagle offers an upgrade to the 2605. Just some thoughts since you weren't real specific.

• Stewart Colley
    7 years ago

Nine feet is standard?!

• Stewart Colley
    7 years ago

I was thinking that 7' is standard hoy vey..