Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madgraf

Marvin Ultimate Wood Window costs

madgraf
10 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have been using it to research some windows we are looking to have replaced. My house was built in 1914 and we have 15 windows on the main floor that are old, wooden double hungs with 9 over 1 true divided light panes. There are also old wooden storms on the outside. Most of these windows don't open and the storms are in bad shape, so we are looking at new ones. They are all custom size I'm sure since the house was built a long time ago. However, they are doing these as inserts so we can keep all of our original oak trim around the windows on the interior.

I had a contractor bring a quote today for Marvin Ultimate wood windows with clad aluminum on the outside and with the advertising discount (being an ad site for them) it came to about $20k ($25k before the ad discount). They are doing the simulated divided light with spacers on the top sash to do 9 over 1 like our existing windows. All the prices I've seen quoted here and online for Marvin windows seem much lower than this (anywhere from 500-1000 vs 1300ish for this quote), so I wanted to make sure this isn't way out of line price wise. I know nothing about windows, but these seem to be a top choice.

This post was edited by madgraf on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 15:54

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

There are several different variant of Marvin windows out there.

$500 - $1000 may not approach the materials cost of a decked out Ultimate in some cases.

$1,300 installed for an Ultimate with SDLs is cheaper than I would sell them for and an aggressive price.

That is an expensive window at the end of the day.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Are these the Ultimate Insert Windows?

• madgraf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I believe they would be since they mentioned they won't tear out our existing wood work and stops in the interior of the house.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Price sounds about tight to dam good with the SDL option as your speaking off if that is a installed by a quality installer! Please post pictures when your finished.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Where are you located? That can have a dramatic effect on price.... I would definitely say that you are at a minimum of $1k per opening however with sdls. If that includes any staining and/or other options it can add up very quickly. Based on the little info provided, I'll tentatively concur with the other guys that the pricing is probably in line if not good.

• ode4minerva
    10 years ago

Depending on the size of your windows, I would say the proposal seems extremely reasonable. I just placed a post on this site looking for input on fiberglass products, including Marvin's. Take a gander at it and you will see why I think your quote seem reasonable. If you have vetted the installer, feel satisfied they are not a fly by night operation, looks to me that the quote is good.

• WestchesterNY2011
    10 years ago

Hi

Just reading through the above, I was quoted approx 1.6K per double hung for Marvin Ultimate Insert windows(replacement) for 22 new windows. Windows are SDL with spacer bars, include aluminum screens. Price includes removing current single panes and storm windows and painting the interior portion of the window to match current trim/moldings. Is that what I should expect to pay? Separately, does anyone know a good website which shows pricing for various windows types by manufacturer?

• PRO
    10 years ago

That is certainly within the realm of normal on an Ultimate with SDLs.

I don't know of a website that compares prices (at least where the information is valid) or that it would even be possible given the regional and dealer input on pricing.

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

+1 to the advice above, that is a very pricey window. Not sure where ANY Marvin product is getting installed near $500. You pretty much have a starting point of $1k and go up from there depending on install and add-ons.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

No way is any marvin getting installed for 500, thats complete and utter nonsense.
    The marvin ultimate is at least 1500 for the most basic install where i am from.

• Lou G
    6 years ago

I have a current quote for 24 Marvin ultimate insert windows for $37.5K installed.

Good deal?

• PRO
    6 years ago

+1. Which options, sizes, etc. On the surface...it looks priced aggressively. Those Ultimates are not cheap.

• Lou G
    6 years ago

majority are in the 30"-34" x 58" range.....one is an awning window. aggressively as in good or as in too much?

• PRO
    6 years ago

As in good.

• Lou G
    6 years ago
    thanks for feedback, very helpful. been hesitant on this but also didn't want to go down the marvin integrity. I will proceed.
Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm