Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seatac_gw

Pricing on Marvin Ultimates seems high

SEATAC
11 years ago

We are looking to replace several windows in our 1912 home. Marvin Ultimates seem the best quality and best fit the style of the home however, we have been surprised by the price estimates we have received from 2 Marvin dealers.

The windows are double hung and roughly 35"X56", dual pane low E with Argon. The window frames seem to be in good condition so we are looking at inserts instead of full frame replacement. We have been quoted about $1,400 a window installed, which seems high to me as we were expecting around $1,000 installed. Does the $1,400 price seem reasonable?

Since Marvin prices seem so high we are now also considering the Andersen Woodright insert windows. Are these likely to be signifcantly less expensive than the Marvins? Any other recommnedations for quality replacement windows suitable for an old house?

Comments (14)

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

Did that pricing include lead paint containment as required by EPA?

• dennisgli
    11 years ago

That does seem high - unless the are some extra installation needs - or you specified options you didn't mention - things like different hardware, fancy screens, and SDLs can add up!

But wben I replaced my windows I ended up going with the Andersen Woodright inserts because I couldn't justify the higher cost of the Ultimates - even though I preferred the latter.

• SEATAC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies! The price excluded lead abatement which is an additional charge. The only upgrades we selected were bronze fixtures.

Looks like we will have to look at alternatives starting with the Woodrights.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

+1. Sounds high unless there are some major install considerations, or high option content. It is a great window and not cheap, but $1400 per hole for an insert is up there in most cases.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

It's likely lead paint containment (RRP) as opposed to abatement. I agree that for a simple, basic insert installation, that price seems kind of high. Especially if the lead paint is extra.

How much more is it for the RRP?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

The Marvin Ultimate is not a cheap window and depending on the installation details, that is right in the range that we have seen.

The Andersen may be a bit cheaper but the Ultimate is one of the best wood windows out there.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

that price seems within range for a basic install for the marvin ultimate.. the ultimate is a very expensive window..so 1400 per opening including install seems reasonable.
    as far as lead, it is NOT an abatement, it is only containment. window contractors have a habit of confusing customers sometimes,,lol
    we only contain the lead, we do not remove. abatement is very involved and very expensive and has absolutely nothing to do with a window installation. there are procedures we follow in order to keep lead dust and paint chips contained but thats it. we do not remove nor are we supposed too.

• SEATAC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes it is for lead containment not abatement. The charge for lead containment comes out to around $34 per opening. The window price included wrapping the exterior sill with aluminum coil.

Thanks for all the feedback. We have another 7 openings we were planning to get replaced over next year or two so not sure we wan to to sign up for a cost of $1,400 per opening - that's a lot of sushi. We will need to look at alternatives.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

I'd take a look at some composites and perhaps fiberglass. Interstate, Inline and Okna would be a good place to begin. Might want to look at Marvin fiberglass also.

• Girlbird63
    11 years ago

Here's the deal with windows, and it's quite simple. If you will be owning your home for more than 7 years, you need to spend the money. Vinyl windows don't last, clad windows don't last, Andersen windows might last for 10-15 years.

Marvin Infinity is a true lifetime window. I have never had one fail, and I have installed maybe a hundred of them throughout projects over the years. Either new construction or replacement. When I have used Milgaard, or Andersen, or Pella--which is to say, if I still own the building--I have had to replace them after 7-10 years. It stinks.

So if you are on a budget, and see yourself selling the home within 5-7 years, certainly, do not spend the money on Marvin.

But if this is your home, and you are in it for the long run, the cost is cheaper to buy Marvins, because you'll never have to mess with your windows ever again in your lifetime.

Marvins cost twice as much. The installation costs the same. But if you are spending, say, $15,000 to replace your windows every 10 years, not to mention living through the headaches of maintenance and seeing problems, and dealing with customer service people, where is the savings in that?

If you would just spend $30,000, you'll never have to think about it ever again. And living with gorgeous functionally perfect windows that look and feel like real windows--not the plastic junk--is really very nice. If you do sell, come resale time, buyers react subconsciously to nice windows. They do. If they are well informed enough to be conscious of what brand window you used, they might say, "Gee, if these people spent the money on Marvins, they probably really maintained the rest of the house." True that.

So it's your call. There are great reasons to buy lower end Andersen and Milgaard windows. If you're selling your house and won't have to deal with them, who cares, go ahead and save your money. But if it's your home, and you see yourself there for a while, do the right thing.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

Spot on Eco.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

+1... Sounds like girlbird's first day on the job as an Infinity sales rep ;)
    ... As the others have said, both the Infinity and the Ultimate are very nice windows, but every window and every material has its pros and cons.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

Yep, that was my initial thought. Felt like I was listening to a RBA sales pitch. Straight out of the sales training manual. I know it's not always the easiest task in the world to convince a homeowner to purchase your premium quality and premium priced product. OTOH, I think it says a lot about a salesperson when they feel they have to bash and misrepresent their competition in order to sell their product. It usually more productive to work on your sales skills. Become more persuasive.