Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lily313

Window stain gone wrong on new windows

lily313
10 years ago

We are trying to determine the best solution to a troubling problem. We are replacing most windows in our home with Marvin Ultimates. We approved the stain sample, but the windows arrived with noticeable differences. The contractor is, through their sub who did the finishing, suggesting corrective measures such as varnish tinting to correct the problem. While we have a lot of confidence in the contractor, this situation is very unsettling and obviously involves a large financial commitment on our part. In addition, one sliding door was installed before the problem was caught, and that door seems to have parts that are close to right color but other parts that are not. Delaying the installation will also impact other parts of the remodeling that we are doing. Thoughts?

Comments (10)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Might try the woodworking forum as this more or less for windows not window finishing but if it were me if he screwed up the finish he would be either completely redoing the finishing or replacing the windows, delays or no delays. Otherwise it is what your willing accept plain and simple.

• lily313
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you milworkman. I did also post in Paint but will try woodworking too. My inclination is what you suggest. I don't want to regret not getting what I should have for the next 20 years.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Keep in mind, stain is somewhat tricky and comes out a bit different than the sample looks . also, certain parts/ area's of the window could be darker or lighter than others. i am giving the contractor the benefit of the doubt based on me assuming it wasnt some chop job .

• lily313
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks mmarse1. As I said, I have a lot of confidence in the contractor, it's the quality of the work by the sub that concerns me. While I consider myself a novice, I have actually done quite a bit of staining/varnishing and replacement of casing and baseboard and refinishing windows in our home, so I do know that there are challenges. It's just that with multiple of these projects in our home over the years, things always turned out reasonably close, and these just are not.

• klem1
    10 years ago

Without seeing the windows and stain sample,little advise can be offered. If you are asking for reccomendations on material and methods to correct the problem,that's not your responsibility to solve. If you start advising your contractor they will do what you say then blame you for unsatisfactory outcome. You already showed them the color you want and thats where your responsibility ends.

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

You may be able to correct the color, with a tinted varnish. However, since they are exposed to sun light, the dye should be UV resistant, otherwise it will fade in a few years.

If it's really a botched job - I'd want new windows.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Far too little information here to make a definitive call one way or the other. This is really going to depend on the whole process of what samples were presented and approved, how the contract was worded, etc.
    Staining can get REALLY muddy due to all of the variables involved.

• lily313
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. After looking at the windows and the sample we approved, the contractor agreed the stain was wrong and will be ordering new windows. We are very appreciative of their quick response.

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

That is great service!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

WoW.

Great outcome and very good service by the contractor.