Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low E on storm windows, worth it?

Posted by berkeley223 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 15:02

I am considering getting ProVia storm windows to go over my drafty original wood windows. Low E costs about $600 more for all windows. Is this worth the expense?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low E on storm windows, worth it?

How many windows?

o

15 windows. If LowE makes some sense, does it makes sense to only do it on some but not all, to save $$?

o

deleted double post

This post was edited by berkeley223 on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 16:30

o

In my opinion, at $40 per unit it is worth it. Not only will it save money in terms of energy efficiency, it will preserve your prime window units and further protect your window treatments, carpet, furniture, etc from UV damage.

o

+1

Definitely a worthwhile investment.

It will more than pay for itself over the life of the storm window.

o

Agreed. I'm staunchly against energy savings "guarantees", pay back schedules, etc, however there is no question that the low e upgrade will pay for itself completely independant of the other added benefits. A 10 yr payback should not should be completely out of the realm of possibility.

o

I decided to get the Low-E on all the storms. I went with the ProVia concord storms and repairing the original wood windows to my 1920s home, instead of replacing them with Okna 800s, which was my other option I was considering. Thanks for all the good advice and I'll post later on how it all worked out.

o

Pictures as well when finished please.

o

Whether or not you made the best choice will depend entirely on how your original windows end up after the restoration process and associated cost, however the Provia storm is a very good unit and the low-e was wise as well. Good choice in that regard :)

o

What is included in the restoration of your older wood window?

o

for the restoration (really repair) they are unsticking every window, fixing the broken pulleys, scraping all the paint off the glass. basically getting all windows in working order, but not doing any weatherstripping, which is what I hope the storms will aid in.

o

According to a study conducted by the U.S. Army Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory (USACRRE) and the State of Vermont in 1996, the annual energy savings of adding low-E coating to a window/storm window combination is $2.57 per window per year. This is, of course, based on the cost of energy in Vermont in 1996. It may differ where you are today. But it's probably a good ballpark number.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here