Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berkeley223

Low E on storm windows, worth it?

berkeley223
10 years ago

I am considering getting ProVia storm windows to go over my drafty original wood windows. Low E costs about $600 more for all windows. Is this worth the expense?

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

How many windows?

• berkeley223
    Original Author
    10 years ago

15 windows. If LowE makes some sense, does it makes sense to only do it on some but not all, to save $$?

• berkeley223
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deleted double post

This post was edited by berkeley223 on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 16:30

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

In my opinion, at $40 per unit it is worth it. Not only will it save money in terms of energy efficiency, it will preserve your prime window units and further protect your window treatments, carpet, furniture, etc from UV damage.

• PRO
    10 years ago

+1

Definitely a worthwhile investment.

It will more than pay for itself over the life of the storm window.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Agreed. I'm staunchly against energy savings "guarantees", pay back schedules, etc, however there is no question that the low e upgrade will pay for itself completely independant of the other added benefits. A 10 yr payback should not should be completely out of the realm of possibility.

• berkeley223
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I decided to get the Low-E on all the storms. I went with the ProVia concord storms and repairing the original wood windows to my 1920s home, instead of replacing them with Okna 800s, which was my other option I was considering. Thanks for all the good advice and I'll post later on how it all worked out.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Pictures as well when finished please.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Whether or not you made the best choice will depend entirely on how your original windows end up after the restoration process and associated cost, however the Provia storm is a very good unit and the low-e was wise as well. Good choice in that regard :)

• PRO
    10 years ago

What is included in the restoration of your older wood window?

• berkeley223
    Original Author
    10 years ago

for the restoration (really repair) they are unsticking every window, fixing the broken pulleys, scraping all the paint off the glass. basically getting all windows in working order, but not doing any weatherstripping, which is what I hope the storms will aid in.

• OldTimeCarpenter1
    10 years ago

According to a study conducted by the U.S. Army Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory (USACRRE) and the State of Vermont in 1996, the annual energy savings of adding low-E coating to a window/storm window combination is $2.57 per window per year. This is, of course, based on the cost of energy in Vermont in 1996. It may differ where you are today. But it's probably a good ballpark number.