Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sqp1015

1 Casement, 1 Double-Hung, 1 Sliding Door

sqp1015
10 years ago

Hello, all - this is my first post on this forum; our major kitchen remodel project has progressed enough in planning to bring me here from my usual immersion in the Kitchen & Appliances Forums. I've read a bunch of previous threads and just want to check out current wisdom. Our project will include installation of 1 each casement (2 sashes) & double-hung windows, and a 2-panel sliding French door. We are on a waterfront lot in New Jersey and get strong winds (routinely 30-40mph+). The sliding door will face the water (& strongest wind direction), the double-hung will face into a covered carport, and the casement will face away from the water but will not be covered.

In 1999-2000 we installed 20 Pella windows (an assortment of casements, double-hungs, and fixed picture windows). Having now discovered GardenWeb, it seems that we've been quite fortunate, because we have not had any problems with them. But 3 years ago we ordered a new Pella swinging exterior French door with sidelights (custom size/custom color aluminum-clad exterior), and the process was horrible - it took 3 tries to get an acceptable unit, and it was not perfect - we just gave up & installed. We vowed "No more Pella!".

Now we need to find exterior-clad-with-something windows & door with oak interiors (preferably white oak, but we can go with red oak if everything else is good), no or minimal vinyl/other material visible on insides (e.g. exterior cladding wrapping onto interior of casement sashes), between-glass spacers for divided-light look (I gather this is pretty common now), and custom color available for the door exterior (window exteriors will be white) - or the amazing coincidence of a match to our unusual deep-but-bright red door color choice!

And, most of all, we want excellent quality.

Just started looking (already confused) and Marvin, Kolbe, & Andersen Eagle have been suggested. Eagle seems less than loved here. Please let me have your input, and thanks so much!

Comments (6)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Your in the right direction. Marvin Ultimate's and Kolbe Sterling would be my recommendations as a No. 1 & 1A, followed by Loewen and then Eagle a distant 3rd in my honest opinion. These are assuming you want Aluminum Clad Exterior and Wood Interior.

This post was edited by millworkman on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 15:32

• sqp1015
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, millworkman! I'm intrigued by the notion of "No. 1 & 1A" - may I ask what the fine points of difference are in your close rankings? We do want clad exteriors - no rabid desire for aluminum over other material, just whatever will perform best. Definitely oak interiors.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Far and away the best wood or aluminum clad wood window available and both are excellent quality and about the same!

• sqp1015
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your advice is much appreciated, millworkman - we'll check out the Marvin and Kolbe options that you recommended.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Just got a recent quote from Kolbe....be prepared to pay.

Ouchie!!!

• sqp1015
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the warning, windowsonwashington! Still waiting for at least one of our choices in this whole project to be a "bargain", but not holding my breath...