Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement Windows

Posted by milehighgran (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 8, 10 at 14:45

I would sincerely appreciate any input ya'll might care to offer.

We purchased a house in a cold climate a year ago. Sadly, the house had cascade windows and sliders. This is a horrible brand and we froze during a very harsh winter.

We are doing research for replacements but this is quite a project given the variety out there.

We prefer wood, so are drawn to Marvins as we had them in another house. But they are very pricey. We're getting a quote on Pella's sundefense with the argon and low E glass.

Does anyone have any advise. We have 18 openings, so this is a large project. We plan to stay in this house for many years, so getting the best windows we can get is our first choice. We've feel differently if we ever planned to move.

Thank you for your help. I'm to the point of confusion given the many, many options.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement Windows

If you plan to stay in the house for a long time do you homework well. Research all the brands on this site(especially Pella) You will find Marvin enjoys a good reputation as would Kolbe & Kolbe. Their are others on here who will give you better advice on the type of glass they would recommend so i will stick to just the window manufacturers themselves.

o
RE: Replacement Windows

Marvin is our first choice, but living in a small town, there is no one here big enough to be a distributor. Any installer has to get them from a middle man making the price tag impossible to handle. We've done a ton of research and everyone has good and bad to say about almost every brand, making a little knowledge a good AND bad thing.

But thanks, we're still researching.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here