Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Vinyl double-hung windows hard to open and close?

Posted by slc2053 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 08 at 14:41

We have white, vinyl, double-hung windows that were installed years ago. But over last couple a couple of years a couple the windows are getting hard to raise and lower and the sound in the window is like your hitting speed bumps as you raise and lower it.

Someone said there is a special "tool" you need to get to adjust these windowsothers say there is something you can access within the window and make the adjustment without any special tool.

Can anyone advise mebetter yet, have a photo of what I need to do?? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Vinyl double-hung windows hard to open and close?

Due to the fact there are several different balance systems that have been used over the years, it would be helpful if you post the brand of window you have. If you cannot tell what the brand is, a visual description would be the next best thing.

o

Here is the window....
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

OK. you have Caldwell Stainless Steel Sipral balances. Thery are quite commmon in older replacement windows.
After a while they fail and have to be replaced. I beleive they are available on line along with the proper adjustment tool. From the sounds they are making they need to be replaced and just adjusted.
You figure the size you need by measuring them tip to tip.

Find a source and they are EZ to replace.

The PorchGuy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

o

Thank you for responding...Does this look right...after searching a bit, this is all I could find online...

http://www.swisco.com/cl/Series-900-Spiral-Balance

If so, are there installation instructions anywhere for this sort of thing...??

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here