Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdlb_gw

New vinyl windows

jdlb
10 years ago

I need to replace 9 windows (original wood casement windows are rotting and leaking). I am located in PA. And one of them is an arch which ups the cost.

I have already replaced 2 myself in the back of the house. I had to buy new construction windows. Once i took out the old windows they didnt appear to be installed correctly.

I have received quotes from renewal, but they want $8000. Since i dont plan to live in this house forever (maybe 6 more years) that price seemed way too high.

Do you think it is a good idea to just install something that looks good but isnt top of the line? I could install these myself, but as long as installation isnt a fortune i can have someone else do it.

What are some lower/middle grade windows?
american craftsman are low grade? while sunline, okna are higher?

Comments (8)

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

American craftsman is total garbage and i would avoid them at all costs.
    Yes, both Okna and Sunrise are high end and much much better.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

The price for Renewal is just asinine as is the used car salesmen approach in my mind. As mmarse mentions there are much better windows for less money.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

I am with the other two guys in that you can get a really great vinyl window and actually have a better built and performing window than you were previously considering while still getting all the ROI improvement in the home value.

Very nice vinyl will do a great job and very likely give the home a nice facelift of sorts.

• jdlb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello again

Thanks for the responses. I've received a quote from a company called Conservation Windows, a regency plus inc. Anyone have information on that company?

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

What product are they selling?
    Where in PA are you located?... I know of a couple very solid companies that serve different parts of PA.

I would definitely go for a good product. If you plan to live there for 6-10 more years, you want something that will still look and perform like new when you go to sell, and entry level products are not going to offer that. In fact, they could be a real turn-off to a potential buyer at that point. You may very well be able to find something that doesn't break the bank, however there is definitely a minimum threshold of quality that you don't want to go under in my opinion.

• jdlb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Central near Harrisburg.

The plan is to live here 6 more years until kids are out of school, then it all depends on job in new area/state since wife doesn't really care for PA.

As of now, I am getting quotes from $5100 - $8000 for 9 windows. I am replacing casements with double hung and will reduce the number of windows. From 9 to 6, including an arch. I have no idea if these are high or normal quotes, but seems high.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Totally depends on options, install requirements, and a host of other factors.

I would like to know more about the window.

A bad window, at any price, is overpriced whereas a great window at a higher price is still a good value.

Can you get them to give you NFRC data or build data?

• jdlb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This was you were after?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}