Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Considering new windows

Posted by locky_2010 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 14:01

Not even sure which questions to ask since we're just at the beginning stages, but about how much can we expect to pay for new windows in the Southwestern CT area? Which brands and types are good choices? We are not looking to make a huge investment, but the windows we currently have are very old. thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Considering new windows

You can expect to pay anywhere from $179 to $1800 per window depending on quality, energy efficiency, options, type of installation and other factors. First you will need to decide what your needs are. Then you will have to decide whether you want wood, vinyl, fiberglass, aluminum, wood clad, vinyl clad or a composite. I'd start by visiting a few window showrooms. Hardware stores usually have a limited selection of windows but usually reputable window dealers will offer better quality installations, service and a broader selection.

With windows, like anything else, you usually get what you pay for.

o

Based on what I lknow so far, I think we're going to go with vinyl replacement windows. Are those frowned upon? Any mid-range brands that are recommended? We're not looking to stay in the house for more than another 1-5 years, but our current windows look terrible. SO, we want something that will look nice, function well, and be decent quality but not the top of the line or a huge investment. thanks!

o

I have been on here saying I was never a big fan of vinyl, but I had sold some back in my Lumberyard Millwork days and I found Superseal Windows out of NJ to be a pretty good bang for the buck. They do a nice job with their products. I am not sure about there efficiency and glass ratings, perhaps skydawggy or windowsonwashington will help but quality wise not bad and they do stand behind their product.

o

Why not restore the windows if you have a historic house?

www.historichomeworks.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Historic Home Works

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here