Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_nyefnyef

Please Advise on Tipping the Guys

Mrs_Nyefnyef
9 years ago

I had Marvin Ultimate windows installed last fall, and the guys did a great job. It's a small company, and the owner and 3 of his guys did the full tear out and installation of 5 windows. I paid in full immediately, but later a friend of mine said I was supposed to tip the crew (though not the owner). I felt terrible, cause I didn't know that! Now, the same guys are coming back for my kitchen windows, and I want to do the right thing. Is it customary to tip the crew, and if so, how much? It is a one-day job, but it will be all day.

Comments (12)

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

In the window industry it is very common to tip the workers and then make a few car payments for the owner of the company. Also , be sure to take the owner out to dinner as well.
    If only we lived in a perfect world. Lol
    Tipping the workers is fine and also very nice of you. Trust me, its appreciated.

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

I wouldn't tip. I don't tip the car mechanic, or the plumber. Why would you tip a window installer?

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

"I wouldn't tip. I don't tip the car mechanic, or the plumber. Why would you tip a window installer? ""

Well, thats because you are probably cheap and dont believe in helping the little guy out. Try installing windows in cold weather or hot weather, then tell me you shouldnt tip.
    The original poster seems very nice and her generosity will surely be appreciated.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Having come from the service industry prior to this endeavor, I can only tell you that it is greatly appreciated. Sometimes even more appreciated is a kind gesture of a cold drink, some lunch, etc.

My one client always makes cookies and the guys fight over who gets to do that install.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    9 years ago

Tipping is appreciated of course, but not expected. No reason to feel bad if you don't. Like WoW said, cold drinks or buying the guys lunch is a great way to show your appreciation for their work without a cash tip.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your advice. Any idea how much I should give them? They will be there from 8 AM to 5 PM or until the job is done. It's a 2nd floor installation. The weather is supposed to be perfect - 75 and sunny. I won't be making cookies as the windows being torn out are in the kitchen. I always think cash is king anyway :).

• PRO
    9 years ago

I had a new washer and dryer delivered the other day and gave the two man crew $20. Granted your guys will be there longer but $20 a man would go a long way.

There are no rules though. Do what you are comfortable with and anything is very much appreciated.

Even ordering pizza (ask them if they do or do not have lunch) would go miles.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you windowsonwashington. They all bring their lunch. I appreciate your advice!

• Marion Montgomery Rogers
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

are you kidding,Iam spending $60.000 on windows a crew of 8 are the installers for a week,why would i tip them they get paid well by the hour,I don't tip my plumber or A/C guy.

• PRO
    8 years ago

I am not sure where anyone said it was mandatory, just that the gesture is appreciated. As I stated previously, even more appreciated sometimes is cold drinks and maybe a few snacks here and there.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    8 years ago

All tips should be sent to the owner of the company and in cash! Beer will be immediately consumed and may need to be rationed

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH