Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strubburger

window help for new construction!!!

strubburger
10 years ago

I live in eastern Missouri and I'm building a new 3200ish sq/ft 2 story house. I've been researching the heck out of windows and their website's seem to tell me the same thing. I don't know if I'm overlooking things or over-thinking thinks; but, I need some recommendations on windows.
I am looking at mostly all double hung windows and vinyl. I've been keeping Anderson in the back of my mind but been told I'll pay extra for their name compared to other brands. So I was then leaning toward Quaker windows until my contractor said he recommends Ellison. Some other brands I've been looking at are Jeld-wen, Atrium, and Marvin which are all sold around here.
I would like your input on all the mentioned brands: quality, durability, price, etc.

THANK YOU

Comments (9)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Marvin either Ultimate's (downside is expensive) or Integrity by Marvin. Andersen depending on the series would be in the top 5 but not near the top. What do you want the windows to look like, what stile of window, what type of material; do you want the window made from, what are you looking for in a window?

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Good advice above. For a wood interior I love the Marvin options. If elite performance is on the top of your list premium vinyl should be a consideration as well... The place to start would be as MWM said to decide what you want your window to look like, your priorities for the project, etc and go from there.

• strubburger
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies! We definitely want good vinyl, double hung windows. With it being a new house, quality is very important. Energy efficiency is next important, thinking possibly argon gas between the panes. We are considering a grid pattern in the glass in some windows and would like input on blinds inside the windows as well.
    Overall, I want good windows that are going to last a long time (the windows in my parents 26 y/o house are in great condition and want the same for my house).

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

If you are thinking vinyl, the often discussed and highly regarded brands are Okna, Soft-Lite, Sunrise, and HiMark.

Each of them have new construction options and can be shipped to just about any location.

• strubburger
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Windowsonwashington, which of those brands are the best quality? What would you put in your home?

• strubburger
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Windowsonwashington, which of those brands are the best quality? What would you put in your home?

• PRO
    10 years ago

My home is not due for windows just yet but I did put the Okna window in my Aunt's home.

She loves them and I wanted her to have what I think is the best in her home.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

I'd agree with windows on Washington regarding the top choices. They are all in the same top tier of quality and performance so you won't go wrong with any of them, but I also personally favor the okna/HiMark. I do have them in my own home :)

• PRO
    10 years ago

This is what I have to say to you sir....