Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taddpeake

How to get the screen out of a two-track storm window?

taddpeake
15 years ago

We'd like to remove the screen in the guest room upstairs to put in an air conditioner for my mother's two-month summer visit, but can't figure out how to remove the screen.

The storms in that room 20-year-old two track storms. The window sash moves up, and the lower panel of the storm moves up (after squeezing tabs to release them).

The screen sits right under the upper storm in the same track. The upper storm does not appear to move.

The only apparent ways to remove the screen are:

- take the sash off and disassemble the storms/screen.

- shotgun

- throw a chair through it

- two tiny flexible tabs along one side that don't seem to have any effect when pulled on. I found a mention that there should be squeeze-clips that will allow the screens to be pulled out, but that are sometimes installed backwards. There is no sign of anything like that.

Did I mention that these windows are on the second floor?

Thanks for any help. Familial happiness depends on it.

Comments (10)

• theporchguy
    15 years ago

taddpeake,
    By now you've probably have the screen out, right? Sounds like your style storm window is mill finish (metal color) and only has two tracks, right so far? If I'm on the right page, the bottom screen in the outside track is removable by first removing the bottom inside glass panel and setting it aside. Then take the top glass panel in the outer track out. It is removable.
    If you were successful so far, now you can study the way the screen was put into the track. Looking down from the top, see if there is any play or space between the screen and the side channel it is mounted into. A larger gap on one side indicates the the screen is either moved right to left or the reverse and pops loose. You can then manage to pull the screen in towards you to remove.

Now if all the above doesn't work, then I don't know. There are so many style storm windows and different methods of their removal.

If above fails, write back and fill us in.

All the best,

The PorchGuy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

• heywindowguy
    15 years ago

If this is a Al combo it might be corroded in place. Get some silicone spray and hit frame and slides. Lift both screen and top sash up at the same time. Screen may be held in place at top by U shape receiver on bottom of top sash. Try to slide out. If all else fails use more silicone.

• gooley_mail_com
    15 years ago

Any luck here? I am in the same boat, cannot for the life of me figure it out. Hired a window cleaner and he was stumped. My outer pair do not slide, they are in a wood frame.

The storms have an outer wood frame and inner slider. The wood frame holds two half-sized fixed panes, either a glass storm or a framed screen. That pane is held from falling out the window by the wood frame being smaller than the outside metal frame of the inserts. Those panes are held from falling into the house by little brackets and by the slider channels of the inner slider. The slider is seemingly permanently in place but only half-sized as well, and can slide up and down in front of either of the half-sized fixed panes The combination of a top fixed-glass frame and the slider at the bottom creates a full winter storm, as the two enjoy a seal together in the middle where the wood frame has a cross member with rubber weather seal.

Any help appreciated. Thank you!

• Marissa Slag
    8 years ago

And 7 years later since the last poster commented....

I have the exact same problem. I can't remove either the outer storm window or screen since they are on the same track. The inner window came out, no problem, since it doesn't share a track with another pane.

The outer storm window is shattered and needs to be replaced. The track and tabs make it look feasible to pull out, but I can't budge either the screen or broken window since they butt up against each other in the track.

It took me a while to figure out what terminology to use to even google this question - I'm not up to speed on window parts.

Please help!

• Christine Anne
    8 years ago

Marissa: if the window is accessible from the outside can you spread the storm window frame apart to perhaps free it up. Or if that doesn't work can you remove the whole storm window frame.

• heywindowguy
    8 years ago

In theory the top storm should lift up and the screen is removed from below. Removing the entire storm window from the outside, if possible, is the best idea. Most likely there are screws around the Al. flange. I many cases the storms are installed poorly from the start. Parts do corrode together. The prime window can settle and pinch the storm window. If you do remove the storm and get repaired. When you go to reinstall only put a couple of screws in then make sure that storm panels operate as you put in the rest of screws in. You might have to change location of the screws to get panels to work.

• Marissa Slag
    8 years ago

Thanks, both. It turns out pulling hard did the trick - I was afraid I'd break or bend the frame or the tabs, but all is well. It is an old, cheap window, and it looks like settling did indeed affect the parts. The rubber tracking that adheres to the actual glass is crumbling and brittle too and will be replaced. Fun stuff. Thanks again!

• cathryn54
    5 years ago

Thank you SO much londonlorraine! That video is exactly what I needed! We purchased the storm windows several years ago to help insulate the original 6-over-6 wood double hung windows! Our home was built in 1980 and I did not want to replace perfectly good old windows with any replacement/easy-to-clean window. The older growth wood is so much better! So, now I'll be able to remove the storm windows from the inside and clean the previously inside of the original double hung windows! I never thought I'd actually look forward to cleaning windows, yet here in the south, the pines "sneeze" a lot of yellow pollen and it sticks to the screens! Oh Happy Day! Thanks again! Cathy

• SME
    5 years ago

I am trying to replace a screen in windows like this. Is that even doable? Can I just get replacements?