Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Simonton window problems

Posted by smitty5952 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 08 at 11:59

I've had the 5500 series windows for four years now and the balancers on the windows keep breaking. Specifically the plastic piece that the metal pin pivots on keeps breaking. We had three replaced about a month ago and now we have three more to replace! Two are on one window which now can't even be opened. This hasn't just happened when tilting for cleaning but just when opening or closing also. Has anyone else had this problem? I wish I would have never purchased these windows.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Simonton window problems

I have a question. Are you opening the sash a minimum of 6" prior to tilting? If the sash is tilted when in the sash pocket it will break the shoes every time.

Michael

o

To be honest probably not. We were told by the installer and the distributor a minimum of 3 inches. But why would the shoes break when I am just opening or closing the window? Get this. I called the installer yesterday and basically he said windows are just to be looked at. What did that mean? They shouldn't be opened or closed? Plus why would the distributor have an employee whose sole job is to repair windows? I find it hard to believe I am the only one having this problem.

o

I was just on the Simonton site. There pamphlet on window care states the window should be open TWO inches before tilting.

o

AT least you're following that instruction. And the installer is very incompetent to tell you that windows are to be looked at, not opened or cleaned.

Call Simonton direct and file a complaint.

Michael

o

Didn't you post this on another board once before?

If so, I thought we resolved this issue over there?

o

If you mean replacementwindows.com then yes. If you mean resolved then no. I contacted(via e-mail) Simonton with a complaint and received a pamphlet on window care. Based on their recommendations for tilting windows we have been doing NOTHING WRONG. The only resolution I got on that website was to be berated by some guy who said I didn't know what I was talking about. I came to this site to see if anyone had experienced the same problems that I have had and to see what their course of action was. My next step will be to CALL Simonton and complain about their windows and the distrbutor Mclure-Johnson. I will NEVER recommend these windows to anyone.

o

I think a well placed phone call to Simonton may net the result that you are looking for. I am sure they will send out a rep to handle your situation.

o

Sometimes the installer will install an additional installation screw in the center just under the stainless steel coil housing / if this fastener is installed to low is can hit the housing when window is raised / lowered and break it..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here