Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window Caulk on Brick Home

Posted by mrsc (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 11:56

We recently replaced basement windows on our brick home. The white caulk looks messy. Is it supposed to look this way?

Here is a link that might be useful: window photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window Caulk on Brick Home

From the looks of the caulk picture, yes it will be messy. What type of caulk did you use and why? Did you use a caulk gun? Please answer these questions and maybe from their we can suggest a proper way to caulk these windows. Depending on what you used and how long ago you did it, the caulk may not be easy to remove.

o

If you installed these windows yourself, then please don't take this personally but, that looks as if a child did the caulking. If this was done by a paid window installer (I won't call him a professional) then I'd get him back out there. You could try a wire brush and Dicone NC15 Gel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dicone NC15 Gel

o

That is a perfect example of caulking that was tooled to many times and after it had skinned.

That is not how it should look.

o

Excessive caulk.

Brick is one place some tape is actually useful.

Tape on the brick, work the caulk flush with the window, then remove the tape.

You do not need a fillet on caulk if you are filling a gap.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. We hired a professional window company. Here is a close view of another window they did.

Here is a link that might be useful: window 2

o

That's a horrible job. All they had to do is tape the brick and this wouldn't have happened. Just too lazy. I would not have paid them until they fixed it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here