Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help deciding glass replacement vs unit replacement

Posted by clickclick (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 07 at 11:03

Our home has 24 year old Milgard windows. Unfortunately, they are fogging up, and were also installed before Milgard's lifetime warranty. We're trying to figure out if it is better to just replace the glass and not hassle with the entire unit, or upgrade. One reason I'm hesitate to tear everything out is that these are aluminum bronze frames, and they "look" right for the style and color of the house. If we get vinyl, everything will have to change. Has anyone made a decision one way or another and then wished they had done it the other way? And are there any residual problems that cropped up? I'm thinking needing to redo window sills (ours are ceramic), blinds that don't fit anymore (HD Silhoutte), etc. It seems like one "little" project always leads to many, many more just to get the first project right. Thanks a lot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help deciding glass replacement vs unit replacement

The glass will be alot cheaper then replacing the windows. You could have a local company make up and install the glass. Just get one with a decent warranty.
Ron

o

Ron, It sounds from your posting that I don't have to replace the panes with the same brand of glass (Milgard). I guess I just thought that the glass thickness and whatever else would be different for each brand. I didn't know there were other options. What do you feel is a decent warranty for double pane replacements? Your idea of using a local glass shop sounds great. Thank you.

o

Call around and see what's available in your area. Call Milgard and see what they charge and what their warranty is. This project is all relative to availability , quality and pricepoint. Do the research on the options you have and make a choice.
A landscaper broke one of my MIL's Andersen casement windows. He had a local glass guy come in and repair it. It's been in for 9 years with no problems.
Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here