Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berkeley223

Storm Windows and Repair vs Replacing Old Wood Windows

berkeley223
10 years ago

I was about to replace 15 original wood windows on my 1920s house with Okna 800s replacement windows, but first got an estimate to repair the windows (unstick them, scrape paint from glass, fix pully, etc) and add storms. The estimate to repair was about $2200, and I just got an estimate to add provia aluminum storm windows for $275x window. So all in I am looking at $6325 vs about $11k to replace.
Any thoughts on doing this? Are Provia storm windows good and is 275/window a good price for them?
thanks

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

The Provia storm is a nice storm window and is a solid company.

What is the motivation behind the project and that will help explain the what and why behind doing the project.

Are they wrapping the exterior trim in the case of the replacement?

Are the windows of a historic nature and are they otherwise in good shape? Do you like the look of them?

If you like the look and feel of wood, stay that way and add the storms.

If you are not particular to the wood, the replacement option will probably give you a clearer and more glass view along with being a bit less maintenance in the future (i.e. no trim painting).

• berkeley223
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the response. There are 2 motivations: costs (save about 40%) and wanting to keep the asethetics of the original windows as much as possible. These are the original old growth wood windows to our house and are in good shape except for air loss and needing to be unsticked from years of paint and some pullies repaired so they can open. We like the look and feel of the wood better than the Okna, but the Oknas weren't bad.
    Do you know is Provia a good storm, and is $275 installed a good price? Are there other storms I should be looking at?

• PRO
    10 years ago

You can check out the Larson storm windows as well as MonRay.

I think you answered your own questions and more so on the look.

If you like the looks, go with the storm option and be sure to put the rest of the money savings to shoring up the insulation on that older home. That will also help big time with the utility bills.

• berkeley223
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Windows on Washington do you guys carry storms?

• PRO
    10 years ago

Not as a standard.

We do install them in selected applications but they are usually specialty items for STC concerns.

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

$275 sounds a little high, Pro-via does carry a couple different lines of storms though.The price could also be low depending on size and if there is unusual or difficult circumstances.
    Make sure you know the full details of repairing the old windows as well, such as weather stripping, glazing, lead containment ect.
    I would go with Gold series if using Larson, these come in pin-on style and flush mounts.Monray is a nice storm but is pricey. They are both limited in colors compared to the Pro-Via's but are built better.The Monray and Larson Gold series are a little bulkier and lose more glass space than Pro-Via due to there more substancial frames.

• Debbie Downer
    10 years ago

Refer to old house forum for more arguments in favor of saving you historic windows ...also what you can do to achieve comparable energy savings. Wavyglass.org has a resident window restorer who can advise. My Larson golds only cost about 140 per window ...these were large 42 inches wide.

• Debbie Downer
    10 years ago

Refer to old house forum for more arguments in favor of saving you historic windows ...also what you can do to achieve comparable energy savings. Wavyglass.org has a resident window restorer who can advise. My Larson golds only cost about 140 per window ...these were large 42 inches wide.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

The provia storms are very good. Price is fine, maybe a hair high if it does not include wrapping, but its a great price if it does.
    I agree overall with the advice provided so far on replacements vs storms, it really depends on the individual circumstances. It can be hard to justify spending that much without getting he other added benefits of replacements ( ease of cleaning, lower maintenance , potentially enhanced property value, better energy efficiency, etc), however if your existing windows can be reconditioned to the point of operating smoothly and looking good, adding the storm to that can definitely get you pretty close in those areas but with cost savings and maintaining the original integrity of the home. As wow alluded to, you could certainly take those dollars that you save and put them to air sealing , insulation , etc in other areas of he home and increase your energy savings exponentially.

• berkeley223
    Original Author
    10 years ago

what do you mean by "wrapping" being included on the storm windows? I don't know if it is or isn't (or even what that is), but I guess I should find out before placing an order!
    thanks all

• PRO
    10 years ago

Wrapping or Capping of the exterior trim.

Basically cladding the exterior trim in aluminum trim coil to eliminate future maintenance and required painting.

• berkeley223
    Original Author
    10 years ago

any thoughts on what is a better storm---pro via or larson gold?

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Provia, no question.

• berkeley223
    Original Author
    10 years ago

why homesealed? I thought both were supposed to be comparable

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Larson Gold is an very good storm window, but the Provia is better and you asked which was better!

• berkeley223
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What makes the provia better than the Larson gold ?

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

I don't necessarily have anything bad to say about the Larson option, but the Provia's have a higher level of fit and finish IMO. They also have a bunch of options including colors, etc... Either should serve you well, I just like the provia's better.