Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement windows for 1940's home

Posted by albryant (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 9:54

Our 1 1/2 story house was built in the 1940s and has eight over eight, true divided (I think) single pane glass windows. The majority of the windows cannot be opened even with trying to open them from the inside and outside. The windows are so drafty, even with storm windows on the outside. We replaced the old HVAC which helped our energy bill tremendously, but I know that replacing the windows would also help (plus it would be nice to actually open them!)

I don't have a clue where to even begin in looking for a possible replacement. I've read these forums and see some positive reviews for different companies, but I don't know how to choose a material? I very much like the way our wood windows look, but I don't know if vinyl or aluminum are better?

If it were your home, what would you choose? And is this a project that can be done piecemeal, or is it better to just save up and do them all at once (that might take us a while). We have 14 openings.

Thanks for any insight or suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement windows for 1940's home

Best advice I can give you is to get off the internet and go out and start looking at windows in person. Look in the Yellow Pages and find a few dealers in your area that have showrooms where you can go and look at different windows. It's the only way you are going to be able to start deciding what you like and don't like.

o
RE: Replacement windows for 1940's home

Educate yourself prior to getting estimates if you can help it.

You will be the better for it and be able to sort through the BS.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here