Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Increasing the Security of Vinyl Windows

Posted by chipster_2007 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 9:10

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question but... is there anyway of increasing the security on a vinyl window besides the vent lock. It seems a rather flimsy device and since I am located on the first floor of a big city, I would like to decrease the likelihood of someone being able to break in through these windows. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Increasing the Security of Vinyl Windows

Laminated glass.

o

Best thing you can do on the cost effective side would be to apply some sort of noise emitting device and some security switches and stickers.

o

Sorry, but I am more concerned with the lifting of the window and an intruder getting in, not broken glass. Should have been more specific. Is there an type of modification I can make to the window, window frame that would deter this? Stickers and motion sensor are a decent start. Thanks

o

You might look into a barrel bolt type set up. I have seen them designed for you situation as well and will look for the link shortly.

o

You could add window locks on your windows if you want to increase security. If you want to take the security of your windows a notch higher, install window frosting on them. It will prevent people outside from viewing what’s inside your home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here