Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petstain

Broken Andersen window pane

petstain
10 years ago

Is it necessary to replace a broken outer pane on an Andersen window, i.e. will the integrity of the sash be affected if the outer pane breaks? Andersen says I should buy a new sash, but at $800 I can't afford to do that. I'd prefer to either leave the window with just the inner pane or, alternatively, replace the outer pane locally with non-Andersen glass (I'm not in the US). My windows are impact-resistant, but those outer panes break mighty easily. So far I've lost one as a result of an attempted break-in, and one because I whacked it accidentally with a metal buckle. (They should have put the IR pane on the outside imho.)

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

They are trying to charge you $800 for a sash....that is crazy.

Is that for them to come out and replace it? It is very simple and I am sure you could accomplish it.

Depends on how it broke. The glass is not integral to the structure of the sash but if water is allowed to enter the sash, it will rot and break down further.

I would replace it before it ruins anything else.

• petstain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your fast reply. The price is for the sash without installation. Andersen's price is $617, but shipping and duty brings it to about $800. (Photo of window is attached with busted glass removed.) Replacing the pane will be cheap if I can do it locally, but then fogging becomes an issue. Wonder if there's a way to prevent fogging but still keep moisture out.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

If a local shop will do it, getting the IGU out and remaking another one is not really a big deal.

If it is done properly, it should not fog over time.

I cannot believe Andersen's pricing on this.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

A local glass shop should be able to get you the Impact Rated Insulated Glass unit for about $25 a sq ft plus $200-250 for installation.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

What size unit is that, is it a C4 (2' x 4')?

• petstain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your fast reply. The price is for the sash without installation. Andersen's price is $617, but shipping and duty brings it to about $800. (Photo of window is attached with busted glass removed.) Replacing the pane will be cheap if I can do it locally, but then fogging becomes an issue. Wonder if there's a way to prevent fogging but still keep moisture out.

{{!gwi}}

• petstain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• millworkman
    10 years ago

A local glass shop can replace the complete insulated glass unit just as I mentioned above.

• petstain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate that information. In fact I'm sure it will save me many $$$ now and in the future. My most substantial error was in calling Andersen, whose rep told me to replace the sash (not just the pane) in order not to void the warranty. The window is their model C235, and the visible glass size of the broken pane was 19 5/8 x 31 3/8, so paying $800 to replace the sash instead of a piece of glass seems wasteful, Since Andersen puts their breakable panes on the outside instead of the interior, I can see a similar issue coming up again. A 2x4 was used in the attempted break-in. The exterior pane shattered easily, but the impact-resistant inner pane came through without any damage. Thanks again.

• quasiexpert
    8 years ago

I'm sure you've already addressed it at this point, but I don't understand why you didn't go to your local Andersen dealer for a quote? I just quoted that sash as laminated glass in the size you stated, and it comes to right at $350 for the part. We would charge about $100 for installation-so if you were in our area, it would be approximately $475 installed including tax. Andersen always charges more selling direct-so they don't compete with their dealers!