Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fleetwood aluminum pocket windows

Posted by talkingdog (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 2:25

Hi,

We are spec'ing a modern house with great views and want windows that open wide. Options thus far are bifolds and pocket sliders. I don't especially like bifolds, plus they are pretty expensive.

I've located pocket slider, Fleetwoods 3070-CR pocket. I gather that this is a very high end window. Has anyone any experience with Fleetwood and any idea of what we're talking moneywise?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fleetwood aluminum pocket windows

We opted for the Fleetwood thermally-broken aluminum windows and sliding glass doors. Fleetwood makes commercial-grade windows. Ours are thick, solid and wonderful. But not cheap. IIFC they were roughly twice (or more) what comparable vinyl would have been.

Make sure to find a good window company to order them through. There are many different options - glass thickness/type/frame/color/etc. You want to be sure you are getting the correct windows for your applications. For example, we went with laminated glass on the big western-facing sliders to cut down on possible UV damage.

Also, if you decide to order one of their custom frame colors, be prepared for up to a 12 week lead time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fleetwood's website

o

Thank you. That's about what I expected. So we're talking about $1000 per window, or more, on average?

I am primarily interested in their pocket patio door, as this seems to be a fairly unique product.

In my local market, Tostem has recently introduced a pocket sliding door with a lot of great features for around $400 per running foot in a maximum 9 foot opening. I have a feeling Fleetwood is probably available in still bigger sizes.

From what you describe, this sounds like the kind of balcony doors I often encounter in modern hotels. Very heavy and thick aluminum extrusions, built to withstand a hurricane blast. So heavy you have to really put your shoulder into it to get them open. Like a YKK commercial window.

How are they on the energy efficiency and condensation?

o

IIRC the Fleetwood website touts each window's U-factor. The ones we used were truly quite good for aluminum.

I actually went to the Fleetwood factory in Riverside where they have a showroom featuring their different styles of doors and windows. AFA being hard to open, they have an option (something like a maxi-wheel or some-such) that allows their sliders to open with the touch of a finger. It adds a fair chunk of change to the cost so we didn't go for it, but it would have been nice. As it is, our 4'x8' panels do take a bit of push to get going, but nothing heroic.

Condensation is not an issue with So. Cal's low humidity so I can't help you there.

They really are a very good quality window company - and their pricing reflects that.

o

I don't need a lot of U-factor, but I would like to avoid condensation.

Sounds like the YKK commercial windows favored by our architects. I actually prefer the lighter YKK residential grade windows, which open feather-like on their "barrier free" non-rail track. But these don't come in 4x8.

Would you be kind enough to share with me the pricing on your 4x8 slider?

o

It's hard to compare apples-to-apples because there are so many variables.

We had a custom color and used laminated glass. Plus we got a smokin' deal through a friend of a friend. Our pricing was just under $2600 a year-and-a-half ago for an 8'x8' OX slider. (That's a 4'x8' door that slides past a similarly sized fixed panel.)

The 16'x8' OXXO door was a touch over $5000. (Two 4'x8' outward sliding panels in the middle with fixed panels at either end.)

Fleetwood will custom make almost any size you need.

o

That's not such a bad price when you factor in the laminated glass. Lowly Milgard's 8X8 aluminum patio door with laminated glass is $2200.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here