Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talkingdog_gw

Fleetwood aluminum pocket windows

talkingdog
17 years ago

Hi,

We are spec'ing a modern house with great views and want windows that open wide. Options thus far are bifolds and pocket sliders. I don't especially like bifolds, plus they are pretty expensive.

I've located pocket slider, Fleetwoods 3070-CR pocket. I gather that this is a very high end window. Has anyone any experience with Fleetwood and any idea of what we're talking moneywise?

Comments (11)

• lorraineal
    17 years ago

We opted for the Fleetwood thermally-broken aluminum windows and sliding glass doors. Fleetwood makes commercial-grade windows. Ours are thick, solid and wonderful. But not cheap. IIFC they were roughly twice (or more) what comparable vinyl would have been.

Make sure to find a good window company to order them through. There are many different options - glass thickness/type/frame/color/etc. You want to be sure you are getting the correct windows for your applications. For example, we went with laminated glass on the big western-facing sliders to cut down on possible UV damage.

Also, if you decide to order one of their custom frame colors, be prepared for up to a 12 week lead time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fleetwood's website

• talkingdog
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you. That's about what I expected. So we're talking about $1000 per window, or more, on average?

I am primarily interested in their pocket patio door, as this seems to be a fairly unique product.

In my local market, Tostem has recently introduced a pocket sliding door with a lot of great features for around $400 per running foot in a maximum 9 foot opening. I have a feeling Fleetwood is probably available in still bigger sizes.

From what you describe, this sounds like the kind of balcony doors I often encounter in modern hotels. Very heavy and thick aluminum extrusions, built to withstand a hurricane blast. So heavy you have to really put your shoulder into it to get them open. Like a YKK commercial window.

How are they on the energy efficiency and condensation?

• lorraineal
    17 years ago

IIRC the Fleetwood website touts each window's U-factor. The ones we used were truly quite good for aluminum.

I actually went to the Fleetwood factory in Riverside where they have a showroom featuring their different styles of doors and windows. AFA being hard to open, they have an option (something like a maxi-wheel or some-such) that allows their sliders to open with the touch of a finger. It adds a fair chunk of change to the cost so we didn't go for it, but it would have been nice. As it is, our 4'x8' panels do take a bit of push to get going, but nothing heroic.

Condensation is not an issue with So. Cal's low humidity so I can't help you there.

They really are a very good quality window company - and their pricing reflects that.

• talkingdog
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't need a lot of U-factor, but I would like to avoid condensation.

Sounds like the YKK commercial windows favored by our architects. I actually prefer the lighter YKK residential grade windows, which open feather-like on their "barrier free" non-rail track. But these don't come in 4x8.

Would you be kind enough to share with me the pricing on your 4x8 slider?

• talkingdog
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's not such a bad price when you factor in the laminated glass. Lowly Milgard's 8X8 aluminum patio door with laminated glass is $2200.

• PRO
    Build By Design
    9 years ago

This is h ood info. Thank you both for sharing

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Jamie Manning, you do realize this post is NINE years old........

• khooshma
    9 years ago

I just finished a custom home with all Fleetwood. We've had only two major rains in Northern Cal this year but multiple windows leaked. Initially thought it was the flashing/installation. Hired a waterproofing expert company out of SF and after much testing and expensive consultation, it is clear that Fleetwood windows are the problem. For weeks, Fleetwood has ignored us! Finally, when I threatened to send them the actual report by the waterproofing company (that is typically used in lawsuits), they said they will send someone over! Never will use Fleetwood again. Very disappointed with their quality and their response! I have spend over $100K on my windows alone (this is a very large house).

• Windows on Washington
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear of this. Please keep us updated with the resolution and what you have to do in order to get it fixed.

• Germain Wong
    8 years ago

Wow, good to know Koohsma. I am in the middle of spec'ing out our MCM tear down reno, and I'm currently looking at Fleetwood, Marvin, and Nanawall. Price and quality is certainly a top concern, but I always want a company that stands behind their products.