Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmir_gw

Windows for a Bay Area home

jmir
10 years ago

Hello,

I have a 50's rancher, that's sort of a cheap copy of an Eichler. It has the Eichler roof design but windows are all normal rectangles. There are no clerestory windows or anything unusual.

The original windows were those old iron ones that used to be common. Unfortunately, many have been replaced by really horrible cheap vinyl ones much smaller than the originals and all wrong for the space. I'd like to get replacements

Most of the recommendations I read here seem very concerned with heat/cooling loss. We heat for only a short time each year and have no air conditioning. Our space is so small and our climate so mild that a single wall furnace heats it all. Anything meeting current minimum standards is probably enough for us.

I would like to get windows with as much glass as possible though and a nice clean look that complements a modern house. Are there any clear recommendations? Wood would be nice inside but not if that will break the bank.

Thanks for any suggestions. I'll work with a window contractor but thought I should get an idea of what I like first.