Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waterlilyac

retractable screens

ard1
14 years ago

I apologize if this isn't the right forum to use, but it seems to be the closest one in which to address door queries. I am considering a retractable screen door for my front door, and have seen many companies on the internet, and wondered if anyone has any input about, or feedback from actual installation and use of the numerous offerings. I would prefer one with a secure latch, not magnetic, also wonder if there is much difference in the retracting mechanisms from one company to another. Pros and cons and any other input on them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Roxy

Comments (4)

• tube
    14 years ago

I've dealt with several and the only one that doesn't down right suck is Phantom screens.

http://www.phantomscreens.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Phantom Screens

• neilson_brontecreekfarm_com
    12 years ago

After much internet research we decided to go with InvisibleScreens.ca as they advertise on their site that they have a quiet close... just what we wanted as the alternative can sound like a bomb exploding.
    They were pricey, but none-the-less the order was placed.. options were discussed, ie the colour of the frames, the colour of the screening etc.
    Low and behold the installer arrived but the screens he had in hand were not the quiet close.. apparently that is an option that I hadn't requested. How does one request an option that one isn't told about? hmmm this was to add a further $101.70 to already expensive product.

The installer and the office had telephone argument with the installer being fired for being 'on the side of the customer'... where is the good PR in this scene one wonders?

The ball was left in Invisible Screens court... come and take away the two boxes of doors (their installer had departed leaving all the bits and pieces in his wake) and call it a day, with us having to argue over the $200 deposit, or come and install the doors as should have happened in the first place.

A new efficient installer duly arrived, installed the doors and presented us with a bill for an additional $101.70.

I was amused to have the young man suggest that we might be interested in ordering windows and doors through their company as apparently that is also part of their action. Do you really think so??? Hardly!!

My suggestion to anyone thinking about using this company (we certainly wouldn't do so again) make sure you know what you are getting before you agree to their expensive product.

Needless to say, we did not pay the further $101.70 and we have no intentions of so doing.

Isn't the internet a wonderful place? There is opportunity of spreading the word and preventing others from suffering the same mishaps.

As a PS, The screen doors are of excellent quality, but they should be for the price. Their second installer was also polite and efficient, argumentative, but controlled.

I hear that Phantom Doors has an excellent reputation. We'll contact them next time.

• dreamojean
    10 years ago

I'm interested in re-opening this thread as we just put a parlor floor deck on the rear of our house last fall, and put a custom OUTSWING door to the deck since the kitchen right inside is small (we're in NYC), knowing we would want a retractable screen this spring. Well, it's nice out and I want to leave the door open but really can't without a screen so it's time to get one ASAP.

Our door isn't that wide (31.5") so I'm concerned about a frame making the width too narrow. I don't want something so "framed out" that we lose too much width.

Also, we have cats one of whom always wants to go outside and might push against the screen, so I'd want something sturdy once it's closed so he only goes outside when we open the door to let him. (Once the cat learns it won't give way he won't try much more but at the beginning we need sturdy) we also have kids some of whom may push against it without realizing it's there.

I've been researching this and have learned that Mirage (based in Canada) and Screenmobile (based in CA) use dealers that won't work in New York City (although the Screenmobile dealer in West Caldwell New Jersey was really nice and helpful and knowledgeable today), and Phantom is a floating mesh system and might not be pet-resistant (and including installation will cost around $500, which sounds high to me). Lowe's carries the Larson 39x81 for $160 or $200 including delivery, but it's either possibly overly framed out or has no bottom frame so my cat could render it relatively useless. And Home Depot has the ODL which is $120 or so but a dealer warned me that it's a relatively cheap product and "you get what you pay for" and suggested I go with the Phantom dealer in Brooklyn. I plan to go to his showroom but also wanted to ask others' opinions. ODL doesnâÂÂt seem that bad and itâÂÂs still on my list.

Has anyone heard of Window Fix Inc? Any suggestions generally? Is $500 reasonable vs. $120-$200 from a Home Depot or LoweâÂÂs thus returnable if we donâÂÂt customize it and it just doesnâÂÂt work? IâÂÂm tempted to go the big box route this year and upgrade in a year or two if we need to. Thoughts?

• jj rr
    5 years ago

What did you end up doing? Any non floating mesh for a retractable screen?