Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bud_wi

What kind of blinds with sliding windows?

bud_wi
17 years ago

Help. I think I have made a terrible mistake with my new windows. I replaced a big picture window with a same size "slider" type window that slides in a track, left or right, to open.

Before,with the picture window that did not open, I had mini blinds mounted 'inside' like all my other windows. I now realize that with this new one that now slides open I can't do that. There is nothing stationary to attach blinds to!

I could do an 'outside' mount with a new mini blind but that might look stupid if all my other windows have them mounted 'inside'.

Also I want TOTAL privacy and I think outside mount blinds may leave a gap. Is this so??

I can't do ALL my windows 'outside' mount because my slider window is flanked by two double hung windows in an alcove breakfast nook. The mounts, if they were all 'outside' would hit each other or maybe be too close altogether and impossible to even attempt such a set up.

I've searched this forum for an answer an did not see this problem ever come up. I am sure I am not the only one who has done this type of installation and had this new problem come up.

Also, curtains are NOT the answer. This is for a modern kitchen and would not give that clean modern look I wish to maintain. And cutians in a kitchen just collect too much dirt and odors.

TIA for any ideas.

Comments (11)

• bud_wi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No, I have not come up with a solution. I right now have a (decorative) sheet tacked up over them. :Cringe: Ugh.

I think now that my question should have gone into the *Decorating Forum* rather than the *Windows Forum*.

The ceiling in the breakfast nook is lower than the rest of the kitchen so maybe I could attach blinds to the ceiling? I don't know. I was waiting to hear from others. I am sure I can't be the only one who has encountered this.

I didn't want to get in any trouble by cross posting to more than one forum but I found a 'Conversations' sub-section of the Decorating Forum and and going to post there. Check over there. Hopefully someone has had this problem and has come up with a solution.

• bud_wi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think I may have a solution, maybe a temporaty solution, but something better than what I got going on now.

In one of the other forms a poster suggested http://www.redishade.com/.

These are peel and stick pleated shades - no bulky mounting header. I'm going to give them a try.

• Mo
    17 years ago

You could do outside mount multiple blinds mounted into one headrail. Privacy shouldn't be a problem if you have the blinds extend out enough from the sides. I have verticals on a slider, and the blinds end about eight inches from the end of the glass on each side.

• bud_wi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for the suggestion but I am having a hard time picturing what you mean by mutiple blinds in one head rail. Do you mean a one piece 'U' shaped headrail? Is there a website that has pics?

• amicus
    17 years ago

Hi,
    We have a large slider window in our kitchen, with inside mount mini blinds. I'm having trouble understanding the fact that there is nothing stationary to attach the blinds to. Ours are attached to the inside of the window frame, so it doesn't affect the window's ability to slide open or shut at all. I don't know much about windows, are you saying yours has no inside frame to attach the hardware to?

• Mo
    17 years ago

Here's a couple examples of multiple blinds on one headrail.
    http://www.graberblinds.com/Products/Wood_Blinds/Options/Multiple.asp
    http://www.yourblinds.com/checkout/Multiple_Blinds.asp

I guess this wouldn't work for you since you mentioned a U shaped headrail. I thought your windows went straight across, but I guess the end windows are angled.

Can you post a picture?

• bud_wi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, the windows are angled in the breakfast nook. I was planning to put in Hunter Douglas Sillouettes like I already have in the LR and DR. The headers on those things are HUGE and they would bump into each other and would never work. I decided to get regular metal mini blinds - or so I thought.......

I have metal mini blinds in the bedrooms because those windows have drapes and sheers. I see the mini blinds don't have much of a header and they are mounted from above inside the window frame. I can't mount from above in my window frame with my slider window, as there is *no space* there to screw anything into. The slider window is more forward than the others. The mini blinds in my BR have an inch or a bit more of space to mount onto from above. My slider only has like 1/4 inch of space in that spot.

There is only about 1/2 inch of the vinyl between the part that holds the slider and the wooden framing above. It is slightly recessed. I wouldn't want to attach blinds into the vinyl window part and put holes in it even if it would work.

I think this problem is due to the fact that it was originally a picture window that did not open and the new slider window had to be stuck in the same spot and is too far forward to leave any room for installing blinds. Yes, there is no inside frame. I thought thought this was just the way sliders were but now I am thinking it is because the slide is a replacement for a stationary window, hence creating a problem.

The window installers took down my old mini blind from the picture window and said I would not be able to use it. They left all the other mini blinds in all the other double hung kitchen windows that they replaced.

I don't own a digital camera but I have decided that that is going to be my Xmas present to myself. A picture will be worth a thousand words.

I really appreciate all the advice from everyone.

• bud_wi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK. I don't have a photo of my window situation but I found a photo posted in another thread that shows best what I am talking about:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg120747147533.html

There is no room to do an inside mount because the slider needs room. Outside mount won't work because the windows meet at a corner and the headers would hit. In the photo above the person installed roman shades into the drywall but that is not going to work in my situation because the ceiling is lower in my breakfast nook and the windows meet right at the ceiling. I'm thinking I may have to find somethng to mount right to the ceiling. I've never seen this done anywhere though, so I am thinking there must be some reason that it is impractical and is not done.

I did buy the RediShades that were recommended to me and I was very happy with them. They are a bit of a PITA to raise up and use the clip, but they were cheap at $1.25 ea. and funtional and even looked nice. I was happy with this temporary solution until my cat shreaded the one of them. So much for the idea of paper pleated shades.....................

• mdeleon
    17 years ago

Do you have a picture of the sliding door you can post? I'm going to try to get a pic of the model of our future home too so we can work together! I think I found something online earlier when I was trying to get estimates... I'll try to locate it! Please try to get us a picture so we can help!

• cande_StrutYourHut_com
    12 years ago

I am having exactly the same problem finding any kind of blinds, roller shades that will not cover the outside molding (thus an inside or "flush" mount is needed. Last fall we moved into a beautiful "new" California Ranch (built in 1960) with Andersen Gliding Windows (in perfect condition) with the brass crank pull. The moldings have never had holes drilled in them and we don't want to start now, preferring to buy blinds or roller shades with an inside mount.
    But there's only 3/8" when the window slides open. I've heard of "Projection Brackets," Supposedly the metal bracket mounts inside, and projects out the 1.5" or 2" it needs to hold the blind flush to the molding mounted inside, but neither Lowe's nor Home Depot has even a sample to show us.
    Has anyone used these? Any other suggestions?