Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement window installation and insulation

Posted by dctonyc (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 23:36

I am planning to replace windows in my house with Okna 500 series Deluxe package which is foam filled. I read on this forum that when installing replacement windows, steps should be taken to apply proper insulation around the window, which makes sense to me. I also saw people emphasizing putting insulation foam to weight pockets. Since I am installing replacement windows already foam filled, is that right that I should not worry about insulation in weight pockets? What exactly should I ask/request the window company/installer to do in terms of proper insulation when installing new windows? Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement window installation and insulation

I prefer using foam around the perimeter of the window. That said, if the gap between the window and original frame is too narrow, foam will not fit so using just a sealant would suffice. Remember, your okna will have full foam wrap around the window to thwart air leakage.
If you actually have weight pockets, only very old homes do, its totally acceptable to use fiberglass insulation due to the cavity being wide. You could use foam but its alot of extra foam and your installer will have to charge extra for that. Usually $20-25 per window extra. Regardless, the weight pocket should be insulated.

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Wed, May 14, 14 at 7:53

o

Thank you. The house is built in 60s, what is the likelihood that it has weight pockets? Assuming there is none, so simple caulking around the perimeter would suffice, if the space is tight between the new window and the original frame. Is that right? Thanks.

o

another question I have is whether it is worthwhile to upgrade to three-pane windows at a cost of $65 per window, which will reduce U-value from .25 to .19. I am in NY.

o

If the home was built in the 1960's, you do NOT have weight pockets.
$65 for triple pane/ Argon is worth it in my opinion.

o

I agree, triple pane for $65.00 each is a worthwhile upgrade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here