Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lydie325

Window in shower

lydie325
11 years ago

The window in my bathroom is right above the tub/shower, meaning that when I shower, it gets wet. The window itself is vinyl, but the frame and sill are wood. Right now I have a second shower curtain over it to protect the wood, but I'd like to know if there is some material I can replace the wood frame and sill with so that I don't need the second shower curtain in front of the window. Do they make vinyl trim?

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks.

Comments (14)

• WindowDog
    11 years ago

Yes they make pvc trim material.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

Yes, you can use PVC trim or a compoaite like Azek. Don't forget you will likely need a window with tempered glass to meet code, also.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Good advice from both gentlemen above. In addition, make sure all of the seams are sealed up as well.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

+1

I would go so far as to maybe recommend some PVC glue to permanently weld the seams.

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

I would back caulh all of the joints if you choose not to cement. If you put a stool in I would set it at a 5 degree angle so it sheds water into the tub.

• PRO
    11 years ago

+1

Good idea on the stool todd.

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

Thanks man.
    I prefer the veranda brand sold at Home Depot vs the Aztec unless it is going painted or routed. The veranda has nice edges that are routed and smooth and glossy the aztec's are square sharp and have unfinshed edges.I typically cover the out edge of the casing with an outside corner that they sell. This will cover the cut edge as well as giving enough depth to stick out beyond the tile and provide a nice caulking point.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

Got the hiccups?

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

No just a little drunk.

• lydie325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I don't think the window is tempered glass. The house is about 40 years old, but it's a vinyl replacement window. The frames are the original wooden frames, however. I'm happy to know there is something I can do to get rid of the ugly shower curtain in front of the window.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

It should have been tempered by code when the replacement was installed... More than likely it will never be noticed, but a home inspector could point it out if you sell the place, or something like that.

• PRO
    11 years ago

If it more than 60" from the floor, technically its not required, however, I would be willing to bet the last company just skipped it.

• BadgerBuff
    11 years ago

Sorry to restart this conversation with follow-up questions. After you remove the wood trim, can you leave in the wood frame? Or is a PVC, Home Depot Veranda or Azec products needed to replace the BOTH the wood frame AND the wood trim? Can you just take off the wood sill and trim and then tile the wall so that the tiles (and sealing) butts up agasinst the window?

• PRO
    11 years ago

What do you mean by the wood frame?

The framing or the wood part of the window?

Most folks just remove the wood trim and put the new PVC tight to the tile and window.