Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window Replacement in Northern VA

Posted by viennamommy19 (My Page) on
Sun, May 31, 09 at 22:03

We are looking to have some of our 30 yr old windows replaced. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window Replacement in Northern VA

First you need to decide whether you want wood, vinyl, fiberglass, aluminum or a composite.

o

Don't know if I'm too late to be of any use -- we live in NVa, and used Hodges (Falls Church) for a replacement French door ten years ago. They have been absolutely terrific on all aspects of the process: informative, no-pressure sale, great handling of a mix-up in the order (door came unprimed when it had been ordered primed; they primed it onsite for a faster install rather than wait for a replacement, having asked which option I preferred), and great ongoing service -- they have come out twice to fix the screens and double-check the locking mechanism, always for free and never asking to see the original receipt or anything. I highly recommend them. (and no, I'm not in any way affiliated with them, I just think they're a really good, old-fashioned-service firm) But they don't carry all brands, so if you know you want Marvins, for example, I think you'd have to go elsewhere.

o

So, they ordered the door incorrectly, have had to come out twice to fix the screens and also the locking mechanism and you highly recommend them?

o

I don't like to encourage Sky's sometimes acerbic sense of humor but that is pretty funny.

o

Made me smile, too -- but in explanation: they showed me the order and it was correct; it was Norco that messed up (and they admitted it) on the original order. The screens were pushed out of their rim twice in ten years by my son, once as a toddler and once at age 4 when he was "testing" (putting all his weight on) them. The lock needed to be tweaked once, a fifteen-minute job. Maybe I'm too forgiving, but those seemed like reasonable things to go "wrong," and I thought the local company handled the issues promptly and well. That gets a recommendation from me. (At least I gave full disclosure of what constituted good service in my opinion, right? Viennamommy is free to disagree and cross them off her list...)

o

Heh, heh... Hodges has a pretty good reputation and they have been around for a long time. I would have no problem recommending them either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here