Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dneubecker

HELP - triple track storm windows over Jeld-Wen???

mdln
9 years ago

Is it worth putting triple track storm windows over new Jeld-Wen windows???

Yes, I realize Jeld-Wen was not a good choice. Too late, they are already installed.

This is a fire restoration and insurance company will pay to replace the triple track storm windows. Is it worth doing this?

Thank you!

Comments (9)

• oberon476
    9 years ago

If they are jeld-wen clad wood windows, then yes it is absolutely worth putting the storms on, especially if the insurance company is paying for them.

If they are jeld-wen vinyl windows then there could be questions about possibility of heat build up between the windows and the storms.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you oberon.

They are vinyl....

Have read about the potential heat build up issue, just not sure how significant of a risk it is.

Am in the Chicago area, and we have much more cold than heat. It seems summer lasts 2 months, at best. We had snow 2 weeks ago - in the middle of May!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

As long as you leave the storm open in the summer, you should be fine.

That being said, I have seen plenty of triple track storms that seal more tightly than the interior window they are married to and what that results in is trapped humidity and a bunch of icing on that outer storm.

Not a good look.

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

Take the money and wait and see how the jeld-Wens perform . The storm window will not be able to removed from the inside with a vinyl window, you'd have to remove the storm window completely to clean the glass.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@windowswashington - thanks for pointing out that keeping them open will decrease the risk. While obvious, I'd not thought of that. THANK YOU!

@toddinmn - cannot "take the money." Need to either get them installed now or lose the opportunity for the insurance company to pay for their replacement. They will only pay - if they see them actually installed.

The Jeld-Wen are double hung, so I can flip them inward to clean.

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

I meant to clean the outside of the storms from the inside.
    Usually a vinyl extrusions are to wide to allow the storm sashes to be removed from the inside. The finger pulls can also be hard to get to.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks toddinmn for the clarification.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Good Catch Todd!

• PRO
    Mendo View Window Cleaning
    6 years ago

I am a professional window cleaner on the West Coast. I am wanting to know how your windows are holding up since the installation. Can you please reply back at your earliest convenience? Thank you for your post question and I appreciate everyones follow-up support to threads like this.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company