Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chopin4

Reglazing vs wood strips for window panes

chopin4
10 years ago

I'm having my old windows repainted and the painter suggested using wood trim for the panes instead of traditional glazing. What are the advantages vs. disadvantages?

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

I am not sure there are any advantages.

How does he propose to keep them water tight?

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

If you go with a vinyl stop the glass should siliconed to the frame for a air/ water seal.
    Putty glazing can be harder to install for some which may be why he wants to go that route, or maybe because the painter is suppose to paint the glazing and doesn't want to wait for it skin over.
    Oil based putty would be the traditional and time test way which is the way I would go in most cases.
    What is the painters reason for choosing a vinyl stops?

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"old windows"

How old?

If they are old enough they are likely worth preserving.

1950s on, not so much.

• chopin4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The house was built in 1870 and the windows are original. The stops would not be vinyl they would be wood. This is in an historic district with strict restoration guidelines. Time is an issue with regard to waiting for the glaze to cure because the job went from a strip and paint job to a total restoration of the wood because of neglect by previous owners. This is adding a lot of time and money. I'm not sure how he proposes making them water tight. I was thinking setting them in silicone but will definitely ask.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Be careful with the silicone. If any pushes out or gets on the stop, they will not be easily paintable.

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

Usually one would paint the windows and stops before glas is put in. Being this is historical glazing would pe preffered and a good glazer coold reglaze these just as fast as putting in vinyl strips. The only that would take longer is painting the glaze which may not be needed depneding on the look your going for.

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

The wood is still available form recailmed resources.
    I had a couple of exterior doors made a couple of years ago for a historic project form reclaimed wood. he also makes historic storm sashes from reclaimed wood. The doors were to be repaired but it was much easier to replace due to the extensive rot.The Historic Society never new the difference.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"The wood is still available form recailmed resources. "

Sort of, at often ridiculous prices.

• Janet Foley
    8 years ago

My brother explained to me from his death bed how to glaze a window, He told me some glazing last 100 years. I rolled out the glaze use linseed oil and had the widow on my kitchen table instead of using my finger I used the back of a baby spoon Man I can appreciate the work artisan do. You know what I just talked myself into using glazing instead of wood trim! house is 95 wavy glass, weights with ropes. THX Janet

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living