Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have windows improved that much?

Posted by belkat (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 21:18

My house was built in the early 90's. It has double pane windows with a metal frame. My heating and cooling bills are reasonable..at least for north Texas anyway. So improving energy efficiency isn't a major concern, however blocking outside highway noise is. I've been told that just changing my windows to new vinyl windows will be a major improvement. I had cheap vinyl windows in my last home and could still hear
outside sounds like the pool filter and birds chirping. Those sounds weren't a problem but make me wonder how much sound really would be blocked by today's windows. I'd appreciate any guidance. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have windows improved that much?

For a major improvement in noise transmission, the glass make up would probably help more than the type of window. Most on here would suggest using one the quality brands of windows but more importantly using a laminated glass and different thickness glass inboard and ouboard. There are people on here with more knowledge on glass than I and I am certain you will here from them on this as well.

o
RE: Have windows improved that much?

+1

The difference in sound performance is going to be a result of offset glazing or laminated glass and not the shift in frame materials.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here