Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swmotz

Tempered Glass

swmotz
10 years ago

I want to start this message off stating once again, thank you all for sharing your knowledge. Thank you!

I do have yet another question: If the glass is tempered and has a lowE coating, does the tempering cause the green tint to be a bit more noticeable?

I realize tempering doesn't create any green tint (I also realize that the lowE doesn't create a green tint -- I just learned the green is caused by the iron in the glass and the lowE coatings just cause us to see the green more). But, I'm wondering if the tempering causes us to see the green more too?

Comments (14)

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

I have never noticed the difference.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

No tempering changes absolutely nothing visually in the lass.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

+1

No difference will be noticeable.

• swmotz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How about the AMOUNT OF GLASS? If I'm looking at a 4" x 4" sample of glass, will it be just as green tinted as a 30" x 30" piece of glass?

I just hate the green tint that lowE glass has--that's one of the main reasons I'm wanting to get 180 glass (something I know I shouldn't do in St. Louis). The Marvin store in town has both 366 and 272 glass in their doors and windows. This glass looks very green. Now, when I bring that little 4 x 4 piece of glass home to my house and look at it, it doesn't look nearly as green. Does anyone know why this is?

Thanks! Stephanie

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

" The Marvin store in town has both 366 and 272 glass in their doors and windows. This glass looks very green."

The apparent color of glass will change based on the light it is being transmitted and reflected .

Lay the sample down on a white piece of paper ad you will have doubled the color change (light going through, reflecting off paper, light coming back out).

The light reflected from the surface stays the same.

Cutting the paper to the size of the sample will limit extraneous reflections from the extra paper.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Thu, May 9, 13 at 11:46

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Now just to add to your confusion, not all Low E will have a green tint. I have seen many times blue and purple tints. It seems to come down to the glass manufacturer. It is actually the glass that has a slight color to it not the Low E as think about shower door glass, it is not Low E but will have a tint to it. To get crystal clear in a shower glass they use Low Iron Glass.

This post was edited by millworkman on Thu, May 9, 13 at 13:30

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

The clearer the glass the higher the price.

The glass used to make optical fibers is so clear light can go miles through it.

It is also much stronger and painfully expensive to make (even before drawing into fibers).

Very clear glass gets used to make bullet resistant glass so you can have 6 inches of thickness and it still looks clear without a hint of color.

• swmotz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yea, I learned about the starphire glass that PPG makes that has less iron in it, so there is less green tint when you add the lowE. But, what I'm wondering is if the more glass you have of whatever glass it is and whatever color it is, will the color seem more intense the larger the piece of glass is.

Thanks, Stephanie

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Like brick said I think it will depend more on the surroundings and what else is in the room.

• Trapper1
    10 years ago

The low-e coatings may be different on tempered glass even if they are called the same thing in the market (different coatings exist to withstand tempering temperatures). The appearance of these post-temporable coatings may vary a bit from coatings used on the standard annealed offering.

Also, 2.5 mm tempered glass can't be easily produced. If you are viewing mixed product, the tempered glass may be thicker allowing the green tint caused by the iron in the glass to be more noticable.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Tempered and Annealed Low E coatings look exactly the same if they are the same Low E. I deal with them everyday.

• swmotz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, if I get the STC option with Infinity, which I think has one pane of glass the "normal" thickness and the other pane of glass a thicker thickness, then most likely the glass will appear greener than the double pane glass samples I've been looking at (they have the "normal" thickness for each pane of glass)?

Stephanie

• oberon476
    10 years ago

I'm a little late to comment on this thread, but just for fun, here is an edge comparison between low iron and standard float.

• oberon476
    10 years ago

And just to keep things interesting, here are a couple of laminated and edge-polished examples of low iron glass.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling