Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly002_gw

Restoration work instead of replacement window?

kelly002
16 years ago

Our windows are good old dense wood windows and after much debate we feel that's it would be a better bang for the money and esthetically more pleasing to have a professional restore and correctly weatherstrip the old windows. Then we are thinking of installing Harvey Tru-Channel storm windows outside.

What is the consensus on this approach in terms of energy efficient, sustainability and soundproofing?

Comments (14)

• booksat
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Last year I started a similar thread when I was considering restoration vs replacement (this and other threads on the topic are worth reading).
    In the end, we opted for an expensive restoration, coupled with Harvey tru-channel storms. Oberon is largely right in his points technical and otherwise; he is certainly right on the fact that replacement vs restoration is a hot topic here and the discussions often go on emotion, particuarly those in favor of preservation.

In case it helps, here are a few considerations from my experience.
    -Money. A thorough, professional restoration is expensive. If you are looking for a full cosmetic restoration that includes new painting inside and out, it could be very expensive. We paid an average of about $750 a window, which didn't include interior painting. Add the Harvey storms with low-e glass and we're at $900 a window.

Aesthetics: I like the look of the old windows, but in the range of $900 a window, you could get a very nice Marvin or the like (if you do look at replacement, look at many for the right feel). I assume that if you are considering restoration that vinyl would not be an option for you, as it wasn't for us. There are a number of good wood interior clad replacements on the market.

Storms: The biggest reason that I might have gone with replacement if I could do it again, would be to get rid of the clunky, unsightly storms. I don't think they look good from the outside or the inside. If you were to get replacement, you would lose a bit of glass because of the insert; however, you would not lose more than you would compared to the intrusion of the Harvey storm. I went with the Harvey's because I wanted the most efficient storms since there will always be infiltration with these old windows, even when weatherstripped. If I were doing it again, I would get a wooden storm that allows you to change out the bottom panel from storm to screen. Marvin makes a nice wooden storm that functions like a triple trac, so does a place out of Lincoln, NE.

Expectations: Expensive restorations may not live up to your expectations. The windows will not look the same but new.

Installation: If you go for replacement, make sure that you get a top notch installer. Functionality and efficiency is dependent upon the install quality. Make sure you get references.

Comparisons: I live in a neighborhood of antique houses, almost all of which have been renovated, expanded, etc. The ones that have put in nice replacements like Marvins, look good, as if they belong to the house, and have worked well over a long long time. In those houses that have put on additions, there is a very noticeable difference in efficiency between the new and the old windows. Of course part of this difference is due to construction.

GOOD LUCK

• kelly002
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you both! Here's where we stand, we can get a restoration job for $225 per window and the Tru-Channel installed for a base price of $195 (plus $50 optional for black and low-e glass). We have looked at Marvin and Pella wood clad replacements and those were $865 per window and we would still need to stain or paint them. We are lucky that our original windows do not require any cosmetic work. All but one were never painted so that's a break in the price of the restoration.

booksat, from your standpoint, how have the tru-channel storms performed especially in terms of soundproofing. Did you notice any difference?

thanks again!

• booksat
    16 years ago

Hi Kelly002,

$225 a window for mechanical restoration is a good price...if it's quality work. Make sure that all work is specified on your contract. Window glazing should be replaced or restored; if you have sash cords they should be replaced with copper chain, the parting beads should be replaced, locks should be realigned and meeting rails made to meet tightly, spring-bronze weatherstripping is great. I had bulb weatherstripping routed into the bottom of the lower sash and the top of the upper sash. If the windows need painting, having this done while the windows are out is of course far easier, but costly.
    Do you mind saying who is going to perform this work?

The Harvey Storms have worked well, though we've had them less than a year. They definitely made a difference. Make sure the install is done carefully. If your old house is like ours, a good bit of air infiltration comes from within the window frame itself. While they're putting up the storms, pay them a bit extra to caulk well around the exterior of the window frame.

GOOD LUCK

• oberon476
    16 years ago

Booksat,

Liked your post - some great information.

• kelly002
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Booksat,

The restoration quote was with windowrepair.com

I saw in another post that you got your tru-channel storms--with low e-glass--installed for $205. Who did he install if you don't mind me asking? I'm also in the Boston area...

• booksat
    16 years ago

Hi Kelly002,

Please e-mail me at booksat@comcast.net. I'd like to mention vendors to you, but there are some comments that I'd rather not make in a public forum.

Oberon, thanks for compliment. I've actually learned quite a bit from you on this and on other window forums. I hope you'll continue being generous with your knowledge.

• matthias
    16 years ago

Kelly002

Dear Kelly002, et al -

I live in the greater Boston area.

Last year, I recently went through a similar thought process. My house is over 100 years old, I live in the historic district (ie have rules on what/how visible feature of the house can be repleced, etc.) and, frankly, I like the aesthetics of my old wooden windows.

I also believe that a big part to energy conservation that is overlooked is the return on ones investment. As I investigated different options that where comparable to the architectural character of my house, I was amazed at the costs. New windows, installed, were in excess of $900-1000 per window! Having 45 windows = $45K. When you look at the basic math of "new" quality windows, you come to realize that their return on the investment is negligable and very long term - maybe 20-30 years?

Additionally, it is not like you can increase the valuation of your house and if you do not use good windows you can negatively impact the value - cheap windows don't last and the look losey

As I investigated the drafts, the lack of comfort in both noise and weather drafts, it became clear that the real culprit was not the glass window, but the weight cavity which separates the outside from the inside by 2 one ince pices of moulding. The option I ended up going with was to hire a local guy who uses a counterbalance system from Pullman Manufacturing in upstate NY and a little yankee ingenuity. The counter balance allowed us to agressively insulate the weight cavity, caulk the windows, install new parting beads and clean up around the window frame and window stops - even clean the windows. The real cost was the manual labor and know how. The total cost was about $200.00 per window and it really works. The first thing I noticed was that the sound outside was muted dramatically. Since then my house is really comfortable - ie warmer in the winter and the cooler in the summer - although it would be nice if they had better regulation devices on A/C.

On the financial side, the 8-10K investment should pay for itself in less than 5 years.

One other aesthetic comment - I found myself not covering the windows as much - because they looked great with new brass wood screws and window locks that where installed.

lol

• kikifuchs
    7 years ago

If I may try to revive an old thread....

I am trying to figure out what to do with my windows in a 1901 in Quincy. I prefer to keep my original windows, and go the route of good storms and getting the old ones worked on.

If Booksat, Matthias and Kelly002 are still out there, I would love to hear about your experiences and possibly some contacts for quotes.

Thanks!

• islandgarden
    7 years ago

Matthias--we are also in the Boston area and this is exactly what we need done with our windows, Could you please let me know who had the Yankee ingenuity as I would love to hire them to do this with my windows. Many thanks!

Kikifuchs--there are about 3 companies that are doing window restoration in the Boston area but pricing appears to be higher than quoted above. Pricing depends on the window size and number of lights etc. I am using one of the highly rated companies but I do not want to comment right now as I am waiting to see how it turns out. They had turmoil this summer and quality plummetted. My windows were taken out in May and reinstalled in late August--one look and it was clear that they had not been properly done so another trip and they were removed again and I still don't have a firm date for when they would be finished (I keep hearing "two weeks" but we are on the third round of that and it is getting cold!). So only look at very recent reviews. Another company seems to have changed ownership or management. I'd recommend you do a few windows and check if you are happy then proceed but definitely try to keep your windows!

• bradturner
    6 years ago

@islandgarden: how did your project work out? We have windows from the mid 1950s in the Boston area. We have older storms and want to take off and replace.

• islandgarden
    6 years ago

It actually worked out quite well. If you want to send me a message I am happy to provide names of those who did the work and other suggestions. Not cheap though!

• PRO
    toddinmn
    6 years ago

Did the replace the glass with IG units or retain the single panes ? How much was it per window?

• islandgarden
    6 years ago

We have mostly historic wavy glass and in the few places where there was more modern glass or cracks, we had it replaced with historic wavy glass. Pricing was based on many factors including size of sashes and number of lights and whether or not we needed to replace glass. We had a stash of historic glass that we used so that helped. Range for full restoration (paint stripped, weatherstripped, new metal chains, reglazed) runs anywhere from about $700-1200/per window for most windows. As I said, not cheap. Basically in the same general ballpark as Marvin Ultimate windows.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio