Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Softlite Pro/Imperial LS/Okna 500----head hurting!

Posted by border411 (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 14 at 18:46

Let me start off that I have a huge headache shopping for new replacement windows. I live in Northern VA, and have had 8 people (yes, I research everything to death!) come in to give me quotes for new windows. I have narrowed it down to 2 installers, both of whom I feel very comfortable with. My neighbor actually just had her windows replaced with Softlite windows from one of the companies I had it narrowed down to, so that was convenient to see how they do the installations. They did a great job and I was impressed on how clean they were.

So.....installer #1 quoted me the following for a total of 26 windows, including a large halfmoon and the work to make a small oval into a double hung ($750):
---Softlite Imperial LS $15,994 (including the carpentry work)
---Softlite Pro $14,977 (including the carpentry work)

Installer #2 will do the framing work for free and for the same windows quoted me $16,344 for Okna 500 series. This installer also said that they would/could get to the nailing fins of the original windows and put in "new install" Okna's so that they could really seal the seems against air infiltration.

All of the windows include lifetime warranties with glass breakage protection. I am sort of leaning towards the Oknas. Are there *Noticeable* energy savings from one model to another? I get so confused with all the stats like VT, DP values, etc! All of the windows aesthetically passed the "wife approval" test.

Thank you all so much for even looking at this thread. I value all of your opinions.

This post was edited by border411 on Wed, May 28, 14 at 12:34

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Softlite Pro/Imperial LS/Okna 500----head hurting!

I have to be honest, the pricing for the okna 500 is excellent considering the work they are doing.
The okna is very solid and you actually get more glass than the soft lite.
8 quotes !!!!! Thats a record. Suffice it to say, you dont need any further quotes. I usually recommend three, any more and its just noise.

o

I just emailed the installer that gave me the quote for Oknas, as I just found out that they have access to Soft-Lites as well. Really want to compare apples to apples. I am also tryign to find out what glass pack will be in the 500's, since according to the Okna website their different packs give varying results for the performance numbers.

o

I am also happy I got those 8 quotes. It weeded out the contractors that I would NEVER work with. For the exact same products, as in the windows listed above, I have people quote me from $15k to over $22k for the EXACT SAME WINDOWS! There is no reason to be that different, and yes, I made sure that all the specs were the same (ie-double pane, etc).

EDIT-I should have stated that I am leaning towards the Oknas, not the Softlites. Sorry for the confusion.

This post was edited by border411 on Wed, May 28, 14 at 9:55

o

Imperial LS would be the apples to apples comparison to Okna 500. The "EP" glass package is standard. (double pane, low e, argon, .25 u factor with foam filled frames (DX))

o

Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here