Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glass/Screen Door

Posted by chedanemi (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 18:43

I know this is a windows forum, but I guess the concept is similar! My front door faces directly south and is a painted steel door with a fiberglass frame around the window in it. The fiberglass frame is unpainted. The problem is, my current storm door is solid glass, and with the direct sun coming through the glass, the interior door get so hot you can't touch it. Plus, some of the sealer is beginning to leak around the door window frame.

My question is: is there a door made from double pane or some type of glass which will not allow the heat to come through so strongly? I've asked a couple sales people, and no one seems to think there is a solution.

Any help is much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glass/Screen Door

Storm doors are typically single pane glass so low-e glazing is out of the question. You might look into an applied glass tint, a newly constructed porch or a large tree etc.???

o

Storm doors are designed to be removed in the summer months.

o

Although they do make 1/1 insulated glass panels for storms doors, your door is still going to cook.
Did you ever put your arm down on your car in the sun? Hot!
I believe your only solution is to replace the inside 1 3/4" steel door with a fir wood door. It won't get hot.

The Porch Guy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

o

What color is your inner door painted, if it is a dark color that will be a good part of the problem. Try a light color and see if this helps. Most door manufacturers will tell you not to paint a steel door a dark color if it is exposed to a lot of sunlite especially if you use a storm door

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here